Inner W.S. weather stip corners

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
John in Washington State

Inner W.S. weather stip corners

Post by John in Washington State »

How should the 90 degree corners on the inner windshield weather stip be made? On my first try, I just pulled the weather strip around the corners, but that left a gap. I have been told to cut the pieces at 45 degrees and glue then together with a black silicone sealer. Thanks for any ideas!
rgus
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: 1942 CCKW 129,XXX
1943 WC-54 81635383
1943 GPW 146954
1945 WC52 818682 "MO"
1943 WC63 82009972 "BIG MO"
1944 CHECKER 1 TON TRAILER

Post by rgus »

I have seen it both ways. The best is cutting each at a 45 and pushing them togeather to form a nice point. I never bothered to glus them togeather....really never though about that. That would really foinish the job though.
halifaxgroup
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Weather strips

Post by halifaxgroup »

Where did you purchase your inner windshield inner strips? The ones from Midwest are too big, the ones from VPW are too small.
1944 WC-51
1944 WC-62
1943 M-20
G-518 Ben Hur
1943 352 CCKW
M-55 Quad Mount
1942 WC-53 Carryall (Not running)
1943 Water Ben Hur (Needs total restoration)
1944 M-14 Directors Trailer
John in Washington State

Post by John in Washington State »

I bought my weather striping from VPW several years ago. It seams to the be about the right size.
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

John:

What do ya mean by "INNER"? The piece that goes around the frame?

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
kaegi

Post by kaegi »

Yesthey mean around the frame. They are talking about open cab WC 3/4 tons. so they have an inner and outer windshield frame unlike your closed cab WC 53 with the tranny that I want, ;-)
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

There was no black silicone in WWII.
I have used John's weatherstrip on the WC Windshield frames, we are talking opeb caps here, I presume, it goes on perfect, but takes time and patience, about an hour. 45 Degree joints at the lower corners are the norm, and I have seen industrial staples used , one each, across the mitre, on WWII windshields years ago. It is not necessary.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it

Post by Guest »

The weather stips he now has are bigger than the ones he used to have. He cannot find the size he use to get from his supplier.
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Guys:

I had gotten weatherstripping for the rear glass (hatch) of my Carryall from VPW. I paid extra for it too (IMHO). It was the wrong stuff. :evil: Unfortunately, the glass shop guy tossed the original stripping before I got the replacement. He also said I had the original glass/stripping on the hatch. I ended up having to get new glass cut to make what I got work. :( The glass is larger than the original & hides all the care I took to make sure the curves around the openings were right. :evil: I really wish they woulda kept the old stuff as I'm sure VPW woulda made things right.

Later
Ugg
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

The inner WC Windshield frames may not all be from the same manufacturer, as the Army stocked replacements. I have seen at least 3 types of Inner WS Frames over the years, the grooves differ slightly, and that is enough to cause replacement weatherstrip to please some, but not all. The Inner WC WS Frame is the same as used on CCKW, Studebaker, and M-1 Kenworth Open Cab, and also the 5 Ton COE 4X4 Autocar and Federal. They all used the same Ordnance Part No.
It is difficult 60 years later to have perfection for those slight differences in manufacture.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it