It Lives!

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
jeep44
Corporal
Corporal

It Lives!

Post by jeep44 »

I'm just happy as can be tonight. I started the WC-4 that has been sitting in my pole barn for the last 10 years today! I bought this truck as a hulk with a frozen-up engine,and over the years, I worked on it in fits and starts. I pulled the engine years ago, and rebuilt it (the valves had rusted in the guides), but that is about as far as I got until this year. I looked at it this spring,and made a vow to myself that I was going to drive it out of the barn under its own power by the end of the summer. I rewired it,hooked up all the gauges,and re-piped the fuel lines and brake lines.
Finally,the moment of truth. I shot a little ether down the carb,and hit the starter pedal. Result: a few coughs. For the past two weeks, I tried this,and tried that,and was getting a bit discouraged. I gave it another try this afternoon,without really expecting much, when it suddenly started up, and settled down to a nice,even idle. I pranced around it like a spastic monkey looking for leaks and other problems (of which there were a few),and finally, after thinking that was enough for a first time,shut it off. What a great feeling,bringing something like this back from the dead. Now the real work begins!
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

jeep44:

Good thing ya didn't scarfice that goat. :lol: CONGRATS!

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Wonderful stuff Ether, a little at a time. Glad you had a very satisfying moment :roll: Good luck with the rest of it. Mind you could you see a modern vehicle standing ten years then starting at all?
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere

Post by Guest »

yes, it was rough when I got it-it had sat out in the weather for years before then,and squirrels had chewed up all the wiring, and packed every spot in it with nuts and acorns. It is a WC4,but it has a '42-dated civilian cab on it,and the engine is a '58 Plymouth 230-6. In the meantime,I had also gotten a WC-51,and totally restored that,so I was busy with other things during the last 10 years,but when I realized it had been sitting in the exact same place since '96,I decided that it was time to act on it.
rgus
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: 1942 CCKW 129,XXX
1943 WC-54 81635383
1943 GPW 146954
1945 WC52 818682 "MO"
1943 WC63 82009972 "BIG MO"
1944 CHECKER 1 TON TRAILER

Post by rgus »

There is nothing quite so satisfactory as hearing that enging come back to life after so many years. Congrats!!!!