1/2 ton Engine Number

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Jack Perry
Corporal
Corporal

1/2 ton Engine Number

Post by Jack Perry »

I joined the local Walter P. Chrysler Club (because my body shop owner is the preseident) and one of the members rebuilt my carburetor.
He surprised me by stating "This looks like an early 50's Plymouth engine."

It is hard to read the serial number. Best I cn make out it reads:
23 then a Star or tall triangle, then I452I and another Star (this star is somewhat more clear). I am positive there is no "T" in front of the numbers.

Anyone recognize this number?

Plymouth engine

Post by Guest »

Hi Jack
Is it possoble that the first digits are P3?
If so that yes that is a 1953 Plymouth engine.
Ernie
Don in Portland

Post by Don in Portland »

My WC-12 has an engine with a similar number P18*28410. The * is a 5-pointed star. They used a capital I for the 1 digit in the stamping.

The only mention I could find of it was at the following web page:
http://www.merc583.addr.com/mopar/frame ... rence.html

Go down to "Other Mopar Engine Serial Number Sequences" or do a "find in page" for P23. It lists a P23 series engine, which was a 1951-52 218ci.
Jack Perry
Corporal
Corporal

Trying a Closer Look

Post by Jack Perry »

I have put a bit of flat black paint over the numbers, and then rubbed off the top layer as best I could. Helped a little to see the numbers more clearly. It is possible that there is "P" in front of the "23", but my family and I disagree. Just too faint for anyone to be sure. The stars are more evident now, so there are in fact two stars in the sequence.
"23 Star I452I Star" (with the possible "P": in front).
I am concluding that this is a P23 Plymouth Engine in my Dodge. Don't know whether or not to cry because the engine is in great shape.