Oil can question

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Jim M
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Oil can question

Post by Jim M »

Quick question for the group that I think I know the answer to, but still need to ask: the oil can that sits in the engine compartment of the WC 51, is it painted OD or left silver/metal?
I think that it is OD, but better to ask to be sure.

Thanks in advance!

Jim M
proud owner of a 1942 WC 51 and now a 1942 WC 56!
rgus
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: 1942 CCKW 129,XXX
1943 WC-54 81635383
1943 GPW 146954
1945 WC52 818682 "MO"
1943 WC63 82009972 "BIG MO"
1944 CHECKER 1 TON TRAILER

Post by rgus »

The NOS ones I have seen were not painted but with no paint on them I would think they would set there and rust. If I had a nice one I think I would clear coat it and stick it in the holder but that is just one mans opinion.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Ihave seen many oil cans that were removed from surplus WWII trucks we bought in the 40s-50s, and most were natural metal. Some with the brand name NOERA were painted a medium shade of gray. I still have a few that were by NOERA and Eagle, one is NOS. Remember that the engine compartment atmosphere tends to be slightly oily and the hot engine causes the Oil Cans to emit oil vapor as the seem to get that way in the clean engine compartments of my MB and CCKW.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
Jim M
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Oil can question

Post by Jim M »

Thank you very much! The one I have is an "Eagle". Have cleaned it up and will put some type of sealer on it to help to keep it clean in the future. Think it must have had about 50 years of crud on it when I got the WC :shock:
Again, Thanks!

Jim M
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Just an occasional wipe of an OE soaked rag will keep it like new. A bit of added trivia are the varying configurations of the spouts on different brand cans having the same spec. Mine is used for the occasional drop of Oil at the Starter and Generator fittings and Distributors. It would be interesting to hear from a collector whose Oil Can has rusted out. :wink:
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
Ray Edsall
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Oil can,s

Post by Ray Edsall »

If any body is interested in the ces {complete equipment schedule }of military vehicles, go to the jeep site, G503 .These boys are experts on all aspect of the tools used on jeeps ,which are basically the same as the ones used on all American MV,s {including WC,s}There is quite possibly an articale on oil can,s on the G .Check it out ,a good site. Ray
Jim M
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Oil can

Post by Jim M »

The Eagle type that I have on the WC, which came with it, is a curved type upper portion. Can see where this type would be handy in getting at those hard to reach spots 8)
Will check out the Jeep site and see what they might have to offer.

Jim M