Hub oil seal

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Richard Starr
Sergeant
Sergeant

Hub oil seal

Post by Richard Starr »

About 2 years and 1500 miles ago I had the inner left side rear oil seal go, contaminating the brakes and making a right mess.

I've just discovered the same thing has happened again on the same hub, and although the leak is more minor, it's enough to need new brake linings again.

I am just wondering if I have been unlucky, or could there be some kind of other fault which made the seal only last a short while. It was NOS from Steve Rivers.
Last edited by Richard Starr on Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaegi

seals

Post by Kaegi »

did you soak the seal in light oil before installation? this helps them seal beter. Also there is a small drain hole built into the backing plate for when a seal starts to leak, it should direct the oil out the back side of the backing plate not contaminating your shoes. this drain hole is ALWAYS plugged up with dirt. you can clean it out from the back and clean out the little trough behind the hub. it is located at about 5 oclock in between the rivets that hold the backing plate on. It is a great feature Ii have never seen on any other vehicle. But they do get plugged up quickly if you offroad you vehicle at all.
Richard Starr
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Richard Starr »

I did not soak it because it was rubber, not leather. But I did moisten it with a small amount of 3-in-1 oil.

Must look for that drain hole - the Norwegians sprayed a lot of underseal around so maybe that has hidden it.

It also occurred to me I should run the engine in gear and see if the hub is running true.

There is only one way to put the oil seal on, so I can't have got it the wrong way round.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

If this is the front axle, the leak may be caused by the Outer Axle Seal which is located just inside the Steering Knuckle, behind the bronze bushing. When worn, and they usually are, the GO in the axle housing will travel out into the steering knuckle, through the spindle and eventually dilute the wheel bearing grease which then leaks by the inner wheel seal. You know the rest.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
Capt Lee P

Post by Capt Lee P »

With a vent breather cap plugged with oil/dirt, it can cause the rear end to build up air pressure and thus force the oil out thru the seal. Check you vent breather cap to see if it is plugged up.

Lee
Richard Starr
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Richard Starr »

No it's the rear, I should have put that in my original post but have now edited it.

I'd be more worried if it was the front because it would most likely pull to the right when braking.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

There are other factors, are your rear wheel bearings tight, and you should examine the outer wheel bearing nut for gouges or rough spots. Many owners choose to yse a chisel when installing/removing the outer nut and ruin the machined oil seal surface on the outer nut.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it