From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
DODGEWC53
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

WC 56

Post by DODGEWC53 »

[img][img]http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/9954/c ... oto8bm.jpg[/img][/img]

Hello,

My WC 56 on its last meeting in 2005. Now its time to blow the cobwebs away and take it back out for a drive.

Have fun
Eric

'42 WC53; '41 WC43;'43 D15; '43 WC56;
'44 WC54; '41 panel; '39 D12; '40 VC3
'44 GPW ;'44 Converto ;

Belgium
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Eric:

Very Sweet! When we get the Beast done, our next project will be a WC 56-7-8, made to look like Patton's rig. My son wants to do that because it has a gun mounted on it. :lol: I noticed the star on your hood has a yellow background. Why?

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Very nice, I do have a sneacking desire for one of this.
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
DODGEWC53
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by DODGEWC53 »

The yellow paint between the star and the cirkel should be gas detection paint. ( it is not the real thing but it's almost the same color).
The gaz detection paint will change from color if there is a gas attack.
( the real thing was called : Paint Liquid Vesicant Detector M5)

Hope that helps.
Eric

'44 GPW ;'44 Converto ;

Belgium
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Eric:

Thank you for that info. I never knew that. :?

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
ThunderStick
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by ThunderStick »

Damn good lookin' unit. This is one you'd expect to see a red plate with stars on it mounted on the front. :)
"What we've got here is ....... FAILURE ...... to communicate."

1941 Dodge WC-1, born 01/16/1941, adopted 10/19/2003
DODGEWC53
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by DODGEWC53 »

[img][img]http://img307.imageshack.us/img307/1637 ... rra8wo.jpg[/img][/img]

Hello Ugg,

Are you restoring a WC53 ?
That's my '42 carryall and my'67 sleeping bag on wheels.
If we go to a meeting, we sleep confy and in style !!!. :lol: :?:

Good luck with your restoration, do you have pictures? :?:
Eric

'44 GPW ;'44 Converto ;

Belgium
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Eric:

Yes, kind of. Not to the same quality of restoration as yours though. The Beast was modified before we got it, it has a 318 Poly V8, with working ac. Also, as we get more into it, we are discovering many disheartening things. Many of the parts on it were not off of a Carryall, or even a WC. At this point in time, we're not even sure if it's on a Dodge frame (there's no #'s where they're supposed to be). :evil:

We have been getting correct body parts when and where we can, but it'll never be a museum piece. That's okay though as we still have fun with it, and I love watching people "Rubberneck" when we drive past. :) I like what ya did with your trailer. We have a 26' that we were planing on painting OD to match the Beast and then towing it when we traveled.

We got the Beast as a father/son thing. Now, my son is getting old enough to really participate (he'll be 14 next month). We hope to get it painted by next month. I've got pictures, but can't post them here for some reason. :cry: However, MoPar Norm has a picture of it at his Carryall site, http://imageevent.com/moparnorm/carryalls . You should send him some pictures of yours, which will put the rest of them to shame. :wink: He also has some WW II pic's of Carryalls.

Oh yeah, what the heck are ya trying to do to me Eric, Your Carryall has a completely different star on it than the others. What type is it? We plan on going with the plain old Invasion Star on the Beast. Also, with your spare mounted where it is, do ya have to get out on the passenger side? If I was a GI back then, that spare would'a been offed to another spot, because I sure as hell wouldn't want something stopping me from getting out when the shooting started. :lol:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
DODGEWC53
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by DODGEWC53 »

Hey Ugg,

Look at http://www.wc53.com.
It's about the finding and restoration from a WC53. ( also you will find something about the unusual star).
The markings on my WC53 are those that i have found under several layers paint, also the star. My vehicle came from Colorado.

Hope that helps
Eric

'44 GPW ;'44 Converto ;

Belgium
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Hey Eric:

I actually have that site and have read it many times, but will now read it again. :lol: Unfortunately, he has his Carryall up for sale on ePay. When I last heard, bids were nowhere close to his reserve. Fortunately, he doesn't "HAVE TO" sell it, and can put the project on hold for a couple of years and get back to it. My hopes are for that after all he has done to it.

One of these days, I'll get our main computer back up and running. It has ALL of my Carryall (and everything else) info on it. I'm currently using my computer which is down in our dungeon (basement), and it hadn't been used in some time, as these days, stairs and I are not on the best of terms. So I'm operating half butted right now. I was just getting ready to make copies of my files when the damn thing crashed (I had just gotten a new burner). :cry: I.J.F.F.! :roll:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Jim in Louisiana

Speaking of WC56's

Post by Jim in Louisiana »

I got mine in the other day. I am 6' tall, and the front seat seems VERY close to the steering wheel and pedals. It could be that my seat springs are worn out, letting the driver drop down lower, and seem that much closer to the wheel and pedals. Does anyone else notice this? My WC51 doesn't seem this cramped in the drivers seat. Has anyone moved their front seat frame back?
Andersun
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Speaking of WC56's

Post by Andersun »

Jim in Louisiana wrote:I got mine in the other day. I am 6' tall, and the front seat seems VERY close to the steering wheel and pedals. It could be that my seat springs are worn out, letting the driver drop down lower, and seem that much closer to the wheel and pedals. Does anyone else notice this? My WC51 doesn't seem this cramped in the drivers seat. Has anyone moved their front seat frame back?
I am 6'1" and had to move the front seat back 4 inches to be comfortable in my WC-57. People were on average shorter back then and fitted better. Try sitting in a MB/GPW! :D
Steve
1943 WC57
Jim M
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tight fit

Post by Jim M »

I can relate all too well the perils of trying to drive vehicle that was not make for tall Troopers. On Monday I had my first chance to drive my WC 51. Only problem is that I have too much leg and not enough room :shock:
Standing 6'5", it was a tight fit in the cab of the WC. Wish I could have seen myself trying to drive that darn thing :lol:
That and the fact that I have not driven a stick shift for over 20 years. Did OK and did not grind the gears too bad. But it still was fun to drive everything taken into consideration. Now on to the real fun of the project--bring back the beauty of this fine vehicle!
Forgot just how much fun it is to strip old paint :mrgreen:

Jim M
proud owner of a 1942 WC 51 and now a 1942 WC 56!
Chris Davis
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Double Clutch...

Post by Chris Davis »

Most of my vehicles have had manual transmissions, so I was well practiced with clutch-in, shift-to-next-gear, clutch-out. But double clutching (clutch-in, shift-to-neutral, clutch-out, clutch-in, shift-to-next-gear, clutch-out) the non-synchro WWII gear box was a learning experience. Fun to do once I got the hang of it, but sure was easy to grind gears while I was sorting the method out. I still have trouble down shifting with the double clutch.

Chris
Chris Davis
'45 WC-51
MVPA# 20000
Centerville, UT
http://www.surplustrucks.com/WC51/WC51Home.htm
Kaegi

Re: Double Clutch...

Post by Kaegi »

Chris Davis wrote:Most of my vehicles have had manual transmissions, so I was well practiced with clutch-in, shift-to-next-gear, clutch-out. But double clutching (clutch-in, shift-to-neutral, clutch-out, clutch-in, shift-to-next-gear, clutch-out) the non-synchro WWII gear box was a learning experience. Fun to do once I got the hang of it, but sure was easy to grind gears while I was sorting the method out. I still have trouble down shifting with the double clutch.

Chris
On downshifting I don't double clutch. it doesn't work. I use the clutch to ake it out of high gear, let clutch out, raise engine rpms to match wheel speed, then slide into lower gear. How much you need to rev depends on how fast you are rolling. after considerable mini grinding it will happen like an automatic. Steve