Sticky Question on Blue Drab and the "stars" on 1/

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
DaninNM
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Sticky Question on Blue Drab and the "stars" on 1/

Post by DaninNM »

the picture above this shows a 1/2T Dodge with BlUE DRAB serial (vehicle) number but with white starts and other markings in white. Whjy shouldn't allthe amrkings be blue drab or all white on early (say pre-WWII) 1/2T Dodges WCs. Carryall WC-26 to be specific.
Have heard all drab blue and have heard some people say just like the picture at hte top of the board postings (blue erial number with white stars)

WHICH IS RIGHT - ANY PHOTOS OUT THERE OF ORIGNALS????
Dan in NM
505-269-2056
M-18 Hellcat, M8, M16A1, USMC Mules, M1 57mm cannon, M3A1 Scout Car, WC26, Chenowth FAVs, Ben Hur, CCKW tipper, G506, GPW, Kawasaki KSR250, M416s, M151A1, T17E1 Staghound
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

I do know that the man who restored the truck spent a lot of time and effort getting it right.
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
Alan Bonny

Blue Drab vs White hood numbers and stars

Post by Alan Bonny »

Danin, I've been fiddling with jeeps for quite a while and have learned a pretty good amount of their history but I'm reasonably sure this info applies to the Dodge and other vehicles as well. When a vehicle is manufactured, it is tested by the manufacturer with government inspectors to make certain it meets all requirements before it's shipped out. When the vehicle receives the 'OK' it is then given its' 'Contract Number' which was applied in 'Blue Drab' on each side of the hood. I've seen pictures of vehicles with their 'white' star already applied at the factory but this isn't always the case. In many situations, when the vehicle reaches its' final destination, the vehicle would have its hood number overpainted with the same number in white along with the stars and unit markings on the bumpers. Blue drab is a hard color to see unless the light hits it just right and the motorpool authorities would want to 'see' the hood number to be able to keep track of it. This is why you see the wide variety of stencil fonts on all types of vehicles as they used what was available. Hope this helps.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Not quite, he production contracts for a vehicle were alloted USA Registration Numbers that were to be painted on the Hood after the vehicle passed inspection. The Contract Number for that production series was different than the USA rRegistration Number.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
DaninNM
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

the choices are::::::::: TWO

Post by DaninNM »

Looks like I can have a ch oie of three color schemes
1. Paint the blue drab numbers on the hood and leave them and then add nothing else and that would be like the vehicle left the factory but had not reached a unit yet. OR

2. I could leave the blue drab USA number on the hood and paint the stars and unit markings on in white and pretend that the motor pool marked the vehicle but DID NOT MARK OVER THE BLUE DRAB USA number. OR (and the one I am leaning toward)

3. Paint all the markings on in white and pretend that the motor pool OIC said "Make 'em white so I can see what's in the yard from my office window!"

Any other choices???? I like choices because then just about anything you do is "correct" Sometimes I think the "correct" way is a little like being politically correct (which I am not and refuse to be). A little authenticity goes a long way - too bad there are not more color pictures of the vehicles from the WWII era.

Dan in NM
M-18 Hellcat, M8, M16A1, USMC Mules, M1 57mm cannon, M3A1 Scout Car, WC26, Chenowth FAVs, Ben Hur, CCKW tipper, G506, GPW, Kawasaki KSR250, M416s, M151A1, T17E1 Staghound
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Oh, but there are.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
DaninNM
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

haven't found them on the web!?!?!?!?!

Post by DaninNM »

show me (I'll pretend I'm from Missouri!)
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

One excellent book is U.S. ARMY VEHICLES of World War Two by Boneface and Jeudy. It hax many excellent color photos of US vehicles taken thruout WWII. It is available in French only, but the photos speak for themselves. The book is probably out of print, but is in demand when found on eBay. This is one of the best WWII picture books available to collectors. Many of the good books come from France and were written by Becker, Boniface and Jeudy.
Gary Troxel

Aluminum 50 Cal Ammo can

Post by Gary Troxel »

RANGER wrote:Not quite, he production contracts for a vehicle were alloted USA Registration Numbers that were to be painted on the Hood after the vehicle passed inspection. The Contract Number for that production series was different than the USA rRegistration Number.
I have an Aluminum 50 Cal Ammo can and would like to know if it could be an Aircraft Item. It opens on the side and has a leather handle. Thanks E Mail ndobedo@aol.com
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Hi Gary (in my most favorite part of the world):

Are your cans painted? I know all WW II 50 cal ammo cans are side opening. Maybe the handles were replaced?

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

There were other .50 Ammunition containers besides those issued to ground troops, in addition to steel and aluminum, wood was also used.