crankshaft pulley

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
42WC-54
Corporal
Corporal

crankshaft pulley

Post by 42WC-54 »

Do they make a speedi sleeve or reddi sleeve for the crankshaft pulley on a 230 cu.
Mine has a groove in it so the new timing cover seal it will still leak. :(

thanks
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

I'm sure they do, but....

Post by Gordon_M »

... it really needs to be exactly the correct size, as I'm sure you'll know.

I'd be contacting Vintage Power Wagons, as they will have them, but it might be almost as cheap to get a new pulley as a sleeve as I believe the sleeves are quite pricey.

Gordon
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
Alan Bonny

Sleeving the Pulley Seal Surface

Post by Alan Bonny »

Gordon, when I rebuilt my jeep engine and various other components that had surfaces that contacted seals, I was fortunate to have a good friend as a machinist who took the time to place the item in a lathe and machine off some of the surface metal. He would next machine a sleeve made of titanium that was just a bit undersized on the ID and a bit oversized on the OD. The sleeve would then be heated up and placed on the pulley or yoke as needed. After cooling, the new sleeve would then be machined down to just a bit oversized for a tighter fit on the seal. Worked great and 70,000 miles later they still don't leak. Can't say everything else doesn't have leak problems but HEY! Just like old people, these machines have a hard time keeping their fluids to themselves.
Regarding Speedi sleeves or other brands, it isn't the sleeve itself that's so pricey. It's the specialized tool that you should use to install the sleeve. If you have multiple components that share the same speedi-sleeve you're OK. I've contacted the two major manufacturers of these sleeves and they're confident either one of them will have the sleeve necessary to do the job. Hope it helps.
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

National Oil Seel has kits for Crank Shaft Pulleys in addition to Redi-Sleeves. I may find time in a few days to research a correct sleeve for the 230.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it