Need INFO: paint match for blue drab! not rattle cans

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
DaninNM
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Need INFO: paint match for blue drab! not rattle cans

Post by DaninNM »

I want to put the lettering on my WC-26 in the correct blue drab but prefer some close match from the paint shop - can anyone send me a close-up photo of the correct paint via e-mail (dan@lobo.net) so I can have it matched at the paint shop locally. Do not want to use rattle cans - spray gun works so much better and I can use it over and over!
Dna in NM
505-269-2056
M-18 Hellcat, M8, M16A1, USMC Mules, M1 57mm cannon, M3A1 Scout Car, WC26, Chenowth FAVs, Ben Hur, CCKW tipper, G506, GPW, Kawasaki KSR250, M416s, M151A1, T17E1 Staghound
Tom @ Snake River
Corporal
Corporal

rattle can

Post by Tom @ Snake River »

In all my years, I have never seen anyone mention a correct color. I believe that Beechwood Canvas carries the correct color in rattle cans. Worked fine on my WC-25 CC. Tom
DaninNM
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Anyone have blue drab but Beachwood - they're out!

Post by DaninNM »

Need six cans!
Dan in NM
505-269-2056
M-18 Hellcat, M8, M16A1, USMC Mules, M1 57mm cannon, M3A1 Scout Car, WC26, Chenowth FAVs, Ben Hur, CCKW tipper, G506, GPW, Kawasaki KSR250, M416s, M151A1, T17E1 Staghound
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

I had the fortune about 10 years ago to be given four 1qt June 1945 dated cans of original Blue Drab stenciling paint. It was still useable. The available spray cans will work just fine, as the original USA Registration was just "dusted" on without any measureable mill thickness. Many restorers do not realize this and tend to apply too much. Remember, the purpose of Blue Drab was to be subdued and difficult to photograph.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
DaninNM
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

What about the stars? blue too or white? Also a ? below

Post by DaninNM »

I am still rying to figure out the star issue.....if the registration was just to keep prying eyes from knowing what about the stars? white or drab blue?

Finally, got a quart of the drab blue you wnat to sell?
Dan in NM 505-269-2056
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

Stars were white stencil paint. In European Theatre the USA Numbers were for most part repainted in 4" size, the font varied as there was no standard stencil in the field.

No, the Blue Drab GI paint is not for sale at any price, George Baxter and Jim Gilmore have two of my cans in their collection. I do have a couple more cans that I am trying to get from my old friend, but theyare destined as gifts to close friends in the hobby.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Ranger:

If ya have anything that was painted with that color, or a small chip, you can take it to a paint shop and have em match the color. They'll then give ya the written formula and you could post it so some of us could share the wealth. We may not understand it, but another paint shop could dupe it from the formula. :wink:

TIA
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
DaninNM
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

I will post it -

Post by DaninNM »

I don't want to use a web siote color print because the color rendering on the computer is not true. The Beachwood folks are out of the rattle cans and they suspect they will not get any more in for about 8 weeks. Damn! Anyway - I will get something done here shortly and post the color inforation from my paint shop.
Dan
Craig Johnson
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Post by Craig Johnson »

I know this isnt close enough, but my dad also used an original can of WW11 blue paint. It was painted on free hand by a guy he knew.

M3A1 Scout Car

Craig
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

RANGER wrote: Remember, the purpose of Blue Drab was to be subdued and difficult to photograph.
RANGER:

I forgot to say "THANKS" for that interesting little tidbit. I have no doubt that is the reason for it being done, but so what if the Axis powers were able to read the #'s. How would that have helped em out? :roll: :lol:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Airborne Bob
Sergeant
Sergeant

Numbers

Post by Airborne Bob »

It was not the hood numbers that they would like to have, it was the unit numbers, so they would know what they were fighting. Bob
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

To the Axis, the Hood numbers would provide production data and intelligence on the time it takes to go from delivery to operation in various parts of the world.
doc-coffin

Blue Drab match

Post by doc-coffin »

I have been told that Blue Drab corresponds to US Navy Intermediate Blue, which is the color the blue-gray GTBs and others were painted in. Since it was put on thin and quick over OD, it looked a lot darker than on the trucks that were painted overall with it. Can anyone verify this by color match or experimentation? A perfect match is available in Model Masters as FS 35164 Intermediate blue. If this is the right color, I have the mix code for it, as I matched it to the original color from GTB parts purchased NIB and inside the headlight doors on my 2nd to last GTB.

Mark Coffin
Richard Starr
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Richard Starr »

Try asking for "Pantone 5415C".

I don't know what it means (and the "C" may be irrelevant), but it meant something to the paint place I went to and I got very good results with the paint they supplied.
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Richard:

Could you take a paint chip in and get the formula for it?

TIA
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"