WC in movies

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Jim M
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

WC in movies

Post by Jim M »

Found this site while looking for something else entirely different. Take a look and see for yourself.

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicles_make-Dodge_model-WC.html

Something different. But quite interesting 8)

Jim M
proud owner of a 1942 WC 51 and now a 1942 WC 56!
wc 9 and 12 owner

Post by wc 9 and 12 owner »

supposedly my 9 was one of the ones from mash. but i haven't sanded it down yet to look for markings to confirm it
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

He's missed one! Force 10 from Navarone has a WC52, when the heroes are "escaping" from an airfeild. The whole thing including wooden silloette lancaster bombers was filmed on about 200 square yards of tarmac.
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere

Post by Guest »

Also
'Trafic' by Jaque Tati there's a 51 as a wrecker truck
John in Washington State

War of the Worlds

Post by John in Washington State »

Don't forget the original 1950's War of the Worlds. There are some nice shots of WC 51/52 and WC 62/63's on the DVD. Many of these shots were cut for TV.
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

the old TV series "Combat" and "Rat patrol" featured Dodges and the other ones I never mention. The 663 squadron has two officers supposedly in 1943 running to an Austin Gypisy and don't forget the cameo apperance in the last scene of Ice Cold in Alex of a Land Rover series one. :wink: (Sad isn't it, watching films for the cock ups)
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Tony:

Rat Patrol used M 38's and M 37's and US made halftracks. I don't remember seeing many vehicles (close up) in Combat. Just saw Commando with "ARNOLD" the other day. The bad guys are using what was probably a WC 56 (just got a rear view). There were also several M 37's which were destoryed. :(

Later
Ugg
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Oh Yeah...

Post by Ugg »

Also missing from that site was "McArthur", which used a whole bunch of 1/2 ton WC CC's, and "PT Boat", a semi accurate WW II propaganda film about how and why PT Boats got to be so widely used. The "DUKE" was in it, but he wasn't the lead. There were many WC's and IH's in it. They even showed the rare IH CC.

Later
Ugg
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Jim M
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

WCs in movies

Post by Jim M »

The PT boat movie you are talking about is "They were Expendable". Story is based on a true event that is shown in the movie.
One of my favorite movies 8)
Little bit of tv trivia--a lot of the Combat scenes were filmed out here in So Cal at the old wine factory in Ontario, about 60 miles south of LA. Visited the place many times afterwards when I was older. See a lot of "German" WC 56s and M34s. But when you're 6, who knows the difference :wink:

Jim M
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Well lads we all qualify for the S.A.S (Sick and Sad) :roll: Anyone know where you can get a copy of "they were expendable"? There was a major naval action with PTs after D-day off the coast of Jersey, biggest loss of life for USN at the time.
Jim M
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

WC in Movies

Post by Jim M »

I think I got my copy from Amazon. Check there. Great movie!

Jim M
Ray Edsall
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

German e boats

Post by Ray Edsall »

The loss of life was ,the American,s were training for D day 6 June .The germans in there E boats intercepted landing craft practacing for d,day and proceded to demolish them .Which they did with extreme efficiency To german,s they were E boats ,Brits ,Motor torpedo boat {MTB }or Motor gun boat,s {MGB } American,s Patrol Torpedo Boats{ PT boats } Two famous Pt boat drivers were J.F.Kennedy and McHale .
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Where would McHale be without his cook Fuji? :lol:

Jim:

Thanks for the name. I can't remember the PT boat commander's name, but they used his actual name in the movie. He went on from there to take over training for all PT boat captains in New England.

Later
Last edited by Ugg on Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Bert
General
General
My garage: 1943 Dodge WC-51 "old bets"
1945 Dodge WC-62

Re: German e boats

Post by Bert »

Ray Edsall wrote:The loss of life was ,the American,s were training for D day 6 June .The germans in there E boats intercepted landing craft practacing for d,day and proceded to demolish them .Which they did with extreme efficiency To german,s they were E boats ,Brits ,Motor torpedo boat {MTB }or Motor gun boat,s {MGB } American,s Patrol Torpedo Boats{ PT boats } Two famous Pt boat drivers were J.F.Kennedy and McHale .
Are you revering to operation Tiger? If so worth reading; The Forgotten Dead, by Ken Small. ISBN 0747575436
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Don in Portland

WC in moview

Post by Don in Portland »

In the beginning of "The Desert Fox", Rommel rides off in what looks like a Dodge 1/2 ton command car. The British had these in North Africa, and both sides used captured vehicles for transport.