Autolite Military Voltage Regulators - WWII Dodges-Question

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
mvdude
Sergeant
Sergeant

Autolite Military Voltage Regulators - WWII Dodges-Question

Post by mvdude »

Hey All, I need everyones expertise. I have a standard looking firewall mounted military Autolite 12 volt voltage regulator NOS (new old stock)
that apears to be in great shape. I need to determine what circuit type it is ( A or B ) to enable me to polarize a correct 12 volt generator,
( A or B circuit generator ). The tags on the Voltage Regulator say the following... Autolite, 12 volt, 40 amp, part number VAM4101B folowed
by the following number 5Z004518 or 5ZC4518 ( can't read it too well )
I found some info in a WWII Autolite issued book I have, and it does list the VAM4101B, and also a VAM4101A.... Does anyone know if Autolite
used the A and B designations to signify A or B circuit polarization ?

I also got some good technical polarization info from Paul Cooks Power Wagon site....

http://www.texaspowerwagon.com/polarize.htm

But I need to figure out if the VR is for an A or B circuit generator set up.

Any other suggestions as to where I can search to find the answer if no one here knows ?

Thanks to all in advance.
Bob Stopka ( MVPA 3986 )
rgus
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: 1942 CCKW 129,XXX
1943 WC-54 81635383
1943 GPW 146954
1945 WC52 818682 "MO"
1943 WC63 82009972 "BIG MO"
1944 CHECKER 1 TON TRAILER

Post by rgus »

Hi Bob;

I have allways polarized my system after all the wiring is finished and a battery is installed, by connecting a jumper lead from the battery terminal of the regulator to the regulator armature terminal for just fraction of a second. If you have any questions at all I would call Joe Hall from Vintage Wiring of Maine. He will run you through it weather you bought wiring from him or not.
mvdude
Sergeant
Sergeant

VR's - Reply to rgus

Post by mvdude »

Hi rgus,

This setup is on a willys mb I bought that had been converted to 12 volt.
It is a real nice restoration, but the gen/vr set up does not charge.
I took the VR and gen into a shop and had it checked out. No charging when working together, although the gen is a type A, we are not sure on the military VR I listed in my original post. Either the VR is a type A and not functioning, or it is a type B and we need a type B gen. It would be great if I could determine if th VR is type A or B. Bob Stopka
Bob Stopka ( MVPA 3986 )