wc 51 where from?

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
gareth
Private

wc 51 where from?

Post by gareth »

Hello everyone, as I am very new to this, could someone please tell me the differences between us,uk and canadian built dodge wc's if any at all? I have a 1942 wc 51 that came out of the british army in 47 but i cannot tell where it was built, can someone point me in the right direction please?
I think all the original data plates are missing. Regards, Gareth.
Chris Davis
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Serial Number...

Post by Chris Davis »

You should find a serial number stamped on the outside of the front driver's side (assuming this is a left hand drive truck) frame rail between the shock absorber and the front spring mount.

(This photo just gives you the general area, I don't have any close ups handy.)

Chances are it is 8 digits long, starting with 81.

Let us know what you find and we can take a guess at where/when built.
Chris Davis
'45 WC-51
MVPA# 20000
Centerville, UT
http://www.surplustrucks.com/WC51/WC51Home.htm
Bert
General
General
My garage: 1943 Dodge WC-51 "old bets"
1945 Dodge WC-62

Re: wc 51 where from?

Post by Bert »

gareth wrote:Hello everyone, as I am very new to this, could someone please tell me the differences between us,uk and canadian built dodge wc's if any at all? I have a 1942 wc 51 that came out of the british army in 47 but i cannot tell where it was built, can someone point me in the right direction please?
I think all the original data plates are missing. Regards, Gareth.
Hello Gareth,
The UK didn't build Dode WC-xx's. The Canadians build their version of the WC-52 (WC-51 with winch) and called it the D3/4 APT.
So if your truck is a WC-51 it's US build.
Last edited by Bert on Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Hi Gareth , the Canadian APT, Air Portable truck , is narrower than an american truck and on the right hand side engine cover should have a cutout for a snorkel.
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
Enigma
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Enigma »

Also the Canadian one has hardly any room between the fron seats.
gareth
Private

Post by gareth »

:) Hello and thanks to all who replied, indeed my chassis number is 81591924, the previous owner said it was built in detroit in 42, is this correct? best Regards, gareth.
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

We have all forgotten the obvious THE CANADIAN HAD A BIGGER ENGINE!! What is the engine number of yours? Daimler Chrysler can supply some build slips with original manufacture and numbers on, very useful if DVLA get snotty.
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Just had a quick look at the list Chris posted in the hood number topic. your serial does put the Lady in the 1942 bracket.
gareth
Private

Post by gareth »

:D Hi, engine number is T21417536 and I have another engine which is T21459529 which needs a rebuild, can you get new cranks for these engines? Regards, Gareth.
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Try Steve Rivers at Dallas Autos, Newbury, he is that man that will know.
I am also looking at the Canadian Dodge Manual the standard vehicle ID plate has MFD BY CHRYSLER CORPORATION OF CANADA LIMTED on it so if yours are original it should be obvious (HAHA)
Last edited by Tony B on Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gareth
Private

Post by gareth »

:D Many thanks guys, Gareth.
Mark GB
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Mark GB »

I don't think Steve Rivers has any cranks - spoke to him recently, cranks, conrods and camshafts seem to be in short supply. I do have a spare crank - needs cleaning up though, if I don't use it I'll let you know.

Mark
Drove it, used it, broke it, fixed it, sold it - looking for another
Rick Yuke
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

Engine parts

Post by Rick Yuke »

[[These engines are Chrysler industrial. They were used in farm tractors generators, combines, boats etc. Check with an agricultural parts place they may be able to help.
Cheers Rick