Wiper arms for a 51

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Wiper arms for a 51

Post by Tony B »

Anyone know of a modern arm that will fit a 51. The old blades are getting tierd and I would like to see where I'm going :cry:
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Tony:

JC Whitney sells arm/blade combo's that fit. They're about $10.00 US for a pair + shipping. I don't know if it's on their web site but probably is. It's lumped in with the single speed wiper motors ad. The blades are 10 or 10.5".

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Thanks Ugg, I've managed to cure my problem in UK by good old Land rover parts. There is a collar that clamps onto the drive shaft, mine has the electric motors, and the modern arms slip on. I know it takes the fun out of things but in my old age I like the little luxurys of things like wiper blades that wipe rather than move the rain drops about so they get a better view and make new friends. :lol:
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Tony:

The Beast came with electric motors. I didn't know that and assumed they were vacuum and ordered a set from Vintage as the ones on the Beast didn't work. Imagine my surprise when I took the plates off and discovered electric motors. :oops:

I'm really not satisfied with the single speed motors, and plan on getting some modern, variable speed/intermitant ones for each side with seperate controls for each. This way I'll still be able to open the windshield when needed.

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Florence
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Florence »

Hi,
...it's NOT funny to drive without functioning wipers while heavy summer rain comes down. Yesterday it was raining when I went home with Florence - and the vacuum wipers don't work anymore

Does anybody know which wiper motor would fit into the small room behind the plates?
Tony - do the Landrover motors fit, if so do you know which kind?
I will try to get them at a German Landy dealer because it's a bit on the hurry as I will go to "Wings and Wheels" in about two weeks and would be happy when I have a functioning wiper than.
WC58 - 4229/933 July 1942 - Commander George
http://www.command-car.com
Dedicated to Dodge Command Car and Dodge Ambulance of WW2

Dodge Build Card collection:
http://www.command-car.com/technik/tech ... cards.html
Enigma
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Enigma »

Got in a blizzard in the Ardennes once.
The passenger side had a electric motor but mine was vacuum.
So I had to manually move it because of the weight of the snow, during rain it wasn't much better....
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Sylvia:

The main thing to worry about is the shaft. It has to be ong enough. You have plenty of room inside there to mount pretty much anything. Then ya need to think about wiper arms and blades. From what I've seen, most WC's have 10.5" blades. Also, the arms need to flex, so you can open up the windshield.

Good Luck
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

hi Sylvia welcome to the dodge world, especially a 54. The wiper motors are built by Smith or Lucas, I have the Lucas type. your best bet is to go to Land Rover sites and look for the type fitted to the early TWO A or series one.
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Electric wiper motors, though I suspect 12 volt, can be got from http://WWW.stokenhamspares.co.uk they are used on Series one Land Rovers, there is a bolt on collar to allow the fitting of modern arms.
Florence
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Florence »

Ugg - Florence still has wiper arms and blades, thanks god - they look good to be used again...

Tony - thanks for the warm welcome and the informations regarding Land Rover wiper motors.

Will let you know when and what I've found soon (I hope)

Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Hi Sylvia:

A question came up. Is Florence 6 or 12 volt?

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Florence
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Florence »

ooops...

Florence is 12 Volt.

The dynamo/generator shows a plate with a number - would that help to research if it was the original dynamo to the vehicle number?

cu
Sylvia

Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

The original WC54's were 6 volt. After the KD64 took over and probabably post war Some 54s were converted to 12 volt. As the became used for other purposes, radio van, fire vehicles broadcast units the 12 volt was needed to work th eequipment.
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Tony:

I heard the 12 volt systems went in place after 42-43. :?

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Seems to be individual vehicles :?: My pet 54 Katy is a 1942. She came over to Uk as a USAAF vehicle, was swapped for 4x2 British K2 ambulances prior to D- Day. She went to Normandy D+9. After the war she was refurbished at the Mercedes factory, I presume as war reserve for Korea but the ended up in the twilight of Norway. She has been 6 volt positive earth all her life. :roll: