paint for engines

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
fatman

paint for engines

Post by fatman »

I am wondering what everyone has used to paint their engines on the 1/2 ton wcs what color and brand
Ray Edsall
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Paint

Post by Ray Edsall »

Hi Fatman .I think the paint is silver for the 1/2 tonners and light grey for the 3/4 tonner,s Go back on the good old forum and punch in paint into the search and i think there will be info in there that you want . Regards Ray
rgus
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: 1942 CCKW 129,XXX
1943 WC-54 81635383
1943 GPW 146954
1945 WC52 818682 "MO"
1943 WC63 82009972 "BIG MO"
1944 CHECKER 1 TON TRAILER

Post by rgus »

The 3/4 ton engine color was " smoke grey" No one that I know of reproduces it. I was luck enough to find an origional engine bracket on my 52 that had the the unmolested color on it's reverse. I took a color picture for reference and when I am ready I buy a quart of bright white engine paint and a pint of grey. It usually take the biggest part of the pint into the quart to get the correct hue. I can send a picture of the bracket to anyone who request it and gives me their email bracket.
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

rgus:

How's about if ya take it to an auto paint shop and have em use the computer to match it and then post the formula. :shock:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Greg Alexander
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by Greg Alexander »

Ugg wrote:rgus:

How's about if ya take it to an auto paint shop and have em use the computer to match it and then post the formula. :shock:

Later
Great Idea Ugg...
I would love to get an exact match to paint my engine. I picked a hammered textured gray paint and it looks beautiful, but it is not anywhere near the correct color. It looked lighter on the cap than it did after I sprayed it. The color has too much blue in it.

Greg
fatman

Post by fatman »

I thought it was silver with black parts. but i was wondering if anyone found a paint color that is close enough and could tell me what they used.
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Fatman:

All the government specs said was "GREY" for engine color (3/4 tons). Remember, back then, all kinds of different places were making stuff for military use, so, there were different shades of grey (or do you say gray :wink: ).

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Phil P

Engine colour

Post by Phil P »

The nearest colour match off the shelf I have found is Ford Dove Grey. That is in the UK. Being as the cars they were used on were exported then the colour should be available universally. The Chrysler description for the engine colour I seem to remember was Silver White which to me is a very pale grey. Ford Dove Grey is available in the UK in Areosol (probably spelt it wrong!) in cellulose and Acrylic. I used Acrylic because it wouldn't lift and bits of paint that I couldn't remove. Out of interest I have foung a crackle finish black paint for the regulator cover in my local car accesory shop. DON'T mix it up the Wrinkle finish made by the same folks who I think are Rustoleum. I also painted my exhaust/ inlet manifold with WoodStove paint from the same folks all come in large spray cans. I hasn't showed signs of burning off and is miles cheaper than Sperex exhaust paint. On old tip when I used to build up race engines. Paint the engine when it's fully assembled, it stops oil leaks.
GTBGUY
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by GTBGUY »

A friend had an original can of WWII engine paint that had the government code on it and it was called "dove gray"
fatman

Post by fatman »

went to 4 paint stores today and came across dodge dove grey at only one but the guy would not sell it to me because saying that it will peel on engines. also they had the fords dove grey also. we need to get one of the vendors to make engine colors and non od3 paint. while since i am sanding my truck down to get all the numbers i have discovered my truck to be a od 1 or 2
rgus
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: 1942 CCKW 129,XXX
1943 WC-54 81635383
1943 GPW 146954
1945 WC52 818682 "MO"
1943 WC63 82009972 "BIG MO"
1944 CHECKER 1 TON TRAILER

Post by rgus »

Here is a link to the part I mentioned. I wish the picture was better.
http://smokegrey.mypicgallery.com/ I cant remember where I read it was called " smoke grey" oh well smoke grey or dove grey, it's grey.
Phil P

Engine paint

Post by Phil P »

I have painted engines with acrylic paint and not had a problem. If your engine is getting hot enough to peel modern acrylic paint then you have a problem. Give the engine a good degrease, clean off with cellulose thinners let it flash dry and paint. Naturally it will burn off the exhaust but not the block 'cos it doesn't get that hot. That is why you can braize exhaust flanges to the header pipes (I have become bi-lingual!) but you have to weld the rest with MIG or Gas.
Phil P

engine paint

Post by Phil P »

Oops the original paint colour was Smoke Grey not Silver White as I wrote. Must have being combing whats left of my hair when I put that. Sorry, the rest of it is correct.
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Code For Body Color.

Post by Ugg »

Hey:

I had the WW II flat OD (34087) matched up and here's the code/formula.

COLORANT______OZ__48___96___192___384

B LMP BLACK______1__12____-____-_____-

C YEL OX_________3___3____1____-_____-

K WHITE__________-__ 44____-____-_____-

L RAW UMBER_____4___37____-____-_____-

(The formula was collapsing so I added the lines to seperate/space, please omit _ )
I'm sure the people that match colors will know what this all means. :oops: Hope it helps someone.

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"