Need help with clutch for WC-54

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Greg Alexander
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Need help with clutch for WC-54

Post by Greg Alexander »

I drove my 1942 WC-54 today and it appears I broke a spring in my pressure plate. Every thing was just purring right along, shifted just fine, then I heard this clacking noise. I pulled over to investigate what had caused the noise and could find nothing. I turned around and while driving it back to my shop it started clacking again and then the clutch felt as though it was not right. When pulling the vehicle into my shop it had deteriorated to a point that I had to pull the clutch pedal back with my toe. After pulling it into my shop I pulled the inspection cover under the flywheel and found parts of a spring in the bottom of the cover. I haven't had a chance to pull the transmission yet, but the parts of the spring were the same size as those I could see inside my pressure plate.

My problem is that I am supposed to haul the ambulance to Oshkosh on Saturday for the big air show. I desperately need to find the parts locally if at all possible due to the time factor. Do any of you have a cross reference part number for a clutch disc, pressure plate and throw out bearing? What would I ask for at the parts counter? Most of the counter men at our local parts store are clueless about anything that isn't in their computer.

Any suggestions woulc sure be appreciated.

Greg
Greg Alexander
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Follow up to my problem

Post by Greg Alexander »

I had quite a scare with the ambulance late yesterday afternoon. I drove it up to have it inspected so I could get it licensed, and on the way it started clacking with a prominent metal to metal sound. I pulled over immediately and it quit, so I proceeded on thinking (hoping) it was just something that had hit the fan blade. The sound never came back until about a 1/4 mile from my shop. This time when the sound returned the clutch pedal started sticking (YIKES). I was able to pull it in my shop, but by this time it was to a point that I was having to pull the pedal back with my toe (DOUBLE YIKES).
After I got it in the bay I pulled the inspection cover under the flywheel, thinking I had probably destroyed a throw out bearing, but instead I found pieces of a spring from the pressure plate. I was just sick, the last thing I needed was to try to run down a clutch and pressure plate and install it before leaving for Oshkosh. I called Mike Bonak last night and cried on his shoulder for a bit... I got up early this morning and went down to the shop with full intention of having to pull the transmission yada, yada, yada. For some reason I thought, "Well before I pull all this apart I am going to check the pressure plate and find out which spring is broken." I rotated and checked every spring, feeling where I couldn't see and to my amazement none of the springs were broken ??? I rotated and checked each spring three times. I then started looking very closely at the rod that runs across the face of the transmission (it is the rod in back of the throw out bearing) and found more pieces of spring. I cleaned it with my hands and then made a tool from a flat piece of metal and I drug out three more pieces of broken spring and a flat piece of a pressure plate that was all embedded in the dirt and grease that had accumulated there over the years. Apparently I was suffering from somebody elses old repair and poor clean up. After wiping it all down, I could see where pieces of the spring had jammed between the rod and the transmission case. It had rubbed a shiny spot on the rod. I took it out for a test drive and EUREKA!!!
The clutch worked smoother than it ever has. Everything was fine and I was able to button everything back up and breathe a major sigh of relief.

Lady luck is still riding with me
:o)
Greg
Ray Edsall
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Not stuffed clutch

Post by Ray Edsall »

Hi Greg ,whilst your luckes in i think you should buy yourself a lottery ticket .You never know you might have another win ,regards Ray