wc54

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
bill k

wc54

Post by bill k »

My WC 54 has gotten to the point when it sets for a week I have to pour gas down the carb to get it to start after that it runs fine and will restart after it sets for 15 to 20 minuts haven't tried it after a day or two.
It has gas in the fuel pump bowl and the inline filter. carb and fuel pump are about a year and half old.
setting here thinking last september it had a 1/2 tank of gas that was a 1/2 year old i then filled it up at that time it now has a 1/2 tank do ya think I should drain the gas and start over ?
How long will gas stay good?
Bill
Minnhawk
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

bad gas

Post by Minnhawk »

I don't know where you live, but here in Minnesota most gasoline is "oxygenated" and many times has an ethanol blend to boot. This gas will go to crap in six weeks if it just sits. I think the ethanol messes with rubber seals and gaskets too. I finally got tired of screwing up carbs and poorly running enines on bad gas, so now I buy and run nothing but non-oxygenated, non ethanol gas in my toys and HMVs. Up here it is called "off road/antique vehicle gasoline" and I run it in the WC-56, the DUKW, and every lawnmower/brushcutter/chainsaw/implements of destruction device I have. It winters over quite well without "Stabil" and holds well in a gas can as well.

I would drain the gas and start over -- hopefully you can still buy "real" gasoline in your area too.
Former DUKW Owner
WC-56 Dodge Owner
GPW Jan43
GPW Nov44
MVPA Member
MVT Member
Red Bull Member
AHMTA Member
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Octane booster from STP or a Fuel catalyst can help the problem of old gas.
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere