Hand brake

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
sydneymver

Hand brake

Post by sydneymver »

Is it possible to remove the spring from the WC 51 handbrake lever ?
GTBGUY
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by GTBGUY »

With great difficulty. The top button is held on by a pin that is difficult to see and even more difficult to drive out. I have never benn able to get the button off after getting the pin out. The rod usually breaks off at the pin hole. The handbrake lever for the M37 is the same except for the sector at the bottom. I would save your exixting sector, purchase a M37 lever and change the sector.
Jim M
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

WC hand brakes

Post by Jim M »

Seeing as how we are talking about hand brakes, just how difficult is it to replace the hand brake band? My hand brake is there in name only.
I suspect that it needs the band replaced to function properly. Will also check the other componets of the hand brake system.
Any words of wisdom would be of great help :mrgreen:

Thanks.

Jim M
proud owner of a 1942 WC 51 and now a 1942 WC 56!
Kaegi

band adjustment

Post by Kaegi »

There are 4 adjustments on the band brake system. one moves the band left to right, another moves the top and bottom closer or farther apart, another brings the bottom side closer. then the cable is adjustable as well. Always make the adjustments at the band first then see if any cable adjustment is needed. (Cable only applies to WC62/63. WC3/4 ton is a rod) READ THE MANUAL WHEN DOING THIS ADJUSTMENT. It is easy to make it too tight. if too tight it can light on fire driving down the road. Be patient and adjust by the book and you will be fine. The book gives a minimum lining thickness. if it is too thin you can have your band relined at a friction service shop.
Jim M
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

WC hand brake

Post by Jim M »

You make it sound a lot easier than the TM :shock: Thanks for the sound guidnace and advice.

Jim M
GTBGUY
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Brake Band Replacement

Post by GTBGUY »

Having done this let me say it is not easy. While the lining is available NOS they are 50 or more years old and tend to be brittle. After breaking two, I softened one by boiling it for a half an hour. Using gloves and care I was able to curve it to fit by starting riveting in the middle and working toward both ends. I was successful but it is not a job I want to do again. I ourchased a riveting tool from US General Supply. The tool is used for aircraft brakes but works fine for this job. Not too expensive $25 or so 5 0r 6 years ago.
Jim M
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Hand brake

Post by Jim M »

Mid West has them on the band already for around $50 I hink. That is the way I plan to go.
But thanks for the words of wisdom and advice!

Jim M
lendlease

NOS handbrake levers

Post by lendlease »

I have for sale some NOS hand brake levers for the WWII WC Dodges. parts also available. Just ask me......you might be VERY SURPRISED at what parts I have available.

leaselend@yahoo.com.au