Where were 1/2 ton Dodges employed in combat?

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Jack Perry
Corporal
Corporal

Where were 1/2 ton Dodges employed in combat?

Post by Jack Perry »

I am almost reeady for my WC 7 to take it's maiden trip after restoration.

I am now thinking about the map board, which is in great shape.

What I want to do is get (hopefully) are 1:25,000 maps of areas of operation wherver it was clear that 1/2 ton dodges were employed.

From various comments on this forum it appears to me that the 1/2 ton dodges were employed in North Africa, and various locations in the Far East.

In order to limit my research I am going to focus on North Africa.

I would appreciate any and all comments about (first) whether I am correct in concluding that 1/2 ton dodges were in fact employed in North Africa. If so then (second) which areas/campaigns in North Africa were most likely to have these vehicles employed.

I figure I will sift through the comments in rsponse to these question sand then focus on finding maps that cover the most appropriate area for consideration.

I think it will be cool to have a map of a specific area, covered with acetate and with grease pencil markings of tactical positions. A great teaching vehicle if I can pull it off correctly.

So, please give me your thoughts so I can move on to the next stage.

Thanks in advance.

Jack
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Jack:

It all depends on who was using them. US forces mainly used the 1/2 tons in the Pacific. Various allies got them thru Lend/Lease and used them in North Africa as well as other places, but I don't believe the US forces used them there.

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Briefly....

Post by Gordon_M »

Pearl Harbour first, then In north Africa and the push up through Italy.

Some in the UK and in Europe through D-Day to Berlin - these would notably have the CAUTION-LEFT HAND DRIVE sign on the back and white-painted blackout areas.

All over the far east.

G
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

The British did have them but the photos I have, which are the "Official" photos show no markings or pionner tools. There is are 2 nice shots with full canvas though. I have problems putting them on site but could e mail them.
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
pmcree

Memphis Belle

Post by pmcree »

If you watch the original 1943 documentry Memphis Belle (not the hollywood version) you can see a 1/2 ton Dodge in the background - I think Carryall but maybe Command I don't remember. The airbase could be looked up and AAF bombing maps could be found for a neat effect.
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

If the airfeild was in Uk then duxford is your best bet. the USAAF Museum Europe is sited there, very impresive place by the way.
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
Tom @ Snake River
Corporal
Corporal

European service ???

Post by Tom @ Snake River »

I have done my darnest to do the homework on my WC-25 CC. It was marked 220 Field Artillery, 44th Infantry, VII Corp. The vehicle was under the command of a Brig Gen Biederlinden. I have spoken with his grandson who is the "keeper of his flame" The only time this unit was attached to the VIIth Corp was in the European Theater of Operations. Biederlinden engineered the surrender of Heidleberg Germany. Tom @ Snake River