Tow Rope

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Greg Alexander
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Tow Rope

Post by Greg Alexander »

I want to put a tow rope on the front bumper of my WC-54. What diameter and length of rope would have been standard in WW2 ?

Does anyone know of a source with the loops already made?

Thanks

Greg
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Rope is measured by it circumfrence not diamater. what you need is about 2 inch/ 50mm manilla line. If the line is for show only it's easy enough to splice the loops yourself. I keep a modern Kermantel rope in the back for actual use. Most country supply, agricultural or chandlery should have it. I am lucky living near the Chataham Historic Dockyard that has its own commercial ropery, I can have stuff custom made or scrounge short lengths free or very cheap. The beauty of the old grass lines are they talk you and creak warning before they break. Whatever you do avoid the KERR tow lines. Kinetic Energy Ropes. These are designed for snatch towing, the rope acts as a spring and multiplys the force applied. The are lethal, litteraly, on soft skin vehicles. I have seen NATO hooks flying through the air after being ripped off, though not for long as I was heading for the floor, very fast.
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
Jim M
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tow rope

Post by Jim M »

Found this jeep site while surfing for WC information. This link will give you directions on how to make your own tow rope. Very good, simple directions on this task that many want for their MV.
Hope it helps.

http://www.42fordgpw.com/towropemk.html

Jim M
proud owner of a 1942 WC 51 and now a 1942 WC 56!
OKMOTORPOOL

Tow ropes ready to go

Post by OKMOTORPOOL »

contact Hangr22@sbcglobal.net in Tulsa OK . He and a friend have been making them for many years.

TMVG rally Bristow OK 11-12 August.
TMVG.org
Jim M
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tow rope

Post by Jim M »

Just made a tow rope for my WC 51 following the directions from the web site I posted. It looks quite good, if I say so myself 8)
Hands are a little sore from the untwisting on the lay of the rope and pushing the ends through. But overall, it looks good!
If I can do it, then anyone should be able to :wink:

I bought 24 feet of rope for my WC 51. Is more than enough to meet the needs I have to profile on the WC.

Jim M
proud owner of a 1942 WC 51 and now a 1942 WC 56!