LOOSE ENGINE PULLEY?

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
DODGYDAVE
Private

LOOSE ENGINE PULLEY?

Post by DODGYDAVE »

Anybody any suggestions on this one?? My WC52 has a loud tapping noise coming from the engime bay; the oil pressure is good, so it's not the big ends; the sound occurs at higher revs, or when the engine is not under load, but not all the time!. Someone suggested it may be a loose crankshaft pulley; how do I check this without dismantling the front end of the vehicle:? :?
If it's cheap, i'll buy it!
Alan Bonny

Loose Crankshaft Pulley

Post by Alan Bonny »

Dave, I hope you take the time to check this situation out very well before you go much further. I, too, had this experience and it cost dearly. If you have a loose crankshaft pulley and it's making a 'knocking' sound, it may be too late. Whatever way you can, first check to see if the cranksahft nut is loose. If so, that's what your culprit is. If not, continue. Loosen and detach the fan belt. Remove the nut. Work the crankshaft pulley off the end of the crankshaft (trying not to loose the key). Carefully inspect the key slot in both the pulley and the crankshaft. See if the key fits the slots without any play. This is what you hope is the final issue for all you have to do is reassemble and tighten it all up. However, if you discover any play, either the key is worn down (which is an easy fix) or the slots in either the pulley or the crankshaft are worn wider. You don't want this. Unless you have the availability of a good machine shop that can weld the slot closed and recut the slot to spec, you might have to replace the damaged component. If you find any damage to the slot on the crankshaft, well, I think you can understand that it must be removed from the engine to repair or replace. I had to replace mine. Hope this helps.

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the reply Alan. Looks like a front end strip down is in order!!