Have WC-7 - have new square guages - NEED GAUGE FACE REPAIR

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
DaninNM
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Have WC-7 - have new square guages - NEED GAUGE FACE REPAIR

Post by DaninNM »

Anyone have any luck finding someone to redo the SQUARE GAUGES in the older Command Cars? I was able to buy new guts for the gauges and they have a backing panel that is new - BUT, the faces are faded away into nothing - probably should have the same person redo the Speedo too! I think the speedo was working when the vehicle last parked (supposedly about 8 years ago.).
Thanks
Dan in NM
505-269-2056
M-18 Hellcat, M8, M16A1, USMC Mules, M1 57mm cannon, M3A1 Scout Car, WC26, Chenowth FAVs, Ben Hur, CCKW tipper, G506, GPW, Kawasaki KSR250, M416s, M151A1, T17E1 Staghound
Ken J
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: 1941 Dodge WC-43 Telephone Installation (replica)
194? K-38 Telephone Tool Trailer
194? Ben Hur Trailer
1968 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 with winch

Post by Ken J »

I guess you are talking about the flat plate which is mounted directly behind the needle- I have repainted mine. I mixed flat black and flat white until I got a shade of grey which matched the darker of the two guages I have. Using a broad fine-bristled brush, I applied a nice coat and got a very good-looking finish. I then hand-painted the flat-white square marks. They came out well, but not factory-fresh. I also painted the screw heads the same grey.

If you are referring to the numbers/letters on the glass, mine were flaked off. After applying three coats of white paint, I scraped off the excess with a clean, sharp flat razor blade. They look near-new.