Acceptable play in front wheels WC52

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Brent
Sergeant
Sergeant

Acceptable play in front wheels WC52

Post by Brent »

I admit I know nothing about front ends. My front wheels can move a bit when jacked up. Is there an acceptable amount of play? The truck drives straight, handles well, and no shimmy at 40mph. My truck is a '44

Thanks

Brent
1944 WC-52
1945 Willys MB

Post by Guest »

To go by the English test rules, when jacked up the wheels should not wobble from top to bottom or side to side. Sounds like the bearing needs just a gentle tweack. Alowable play in a 4x4 sterring wheel is 1 1/2 inch before the wheels start to turn. It would be worth taking the front hub off and just checking over. The biggest problem is the size of the nut that holds the bearing in, it is a large box spanner job. Its an easy job once you have the tool. The other way is to put a blunt chisel against the nut and tap with a rubber hammer.
Brent
Sergeant
Sergeant

Thanks

Post by Brent »

How would I determine if bearings need replacement or just adjusting?

Thanks again.

Brent
1944 WC-52
1945 Willys MB
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Having checked the book of words. The Dodge engineers kept to the Kiss priciple. Back off the locking nut. Tighten the inner adjusting nut up tight, back off 1/6 of a turn . Installl the nut lock. If the wheel still wobbles after this replace the bearing. nice to have a vehicle designed to be fixed.
Working manual if you don't have one. Military Media CD no 1 077421-1 has the manuals plus all sorts of other interestin stuff.
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere