Ignition coil (UK)

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
DS
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Ignition coil (UK)

Post by DS »

Anyone have a (Lucas ?) part number identity /whatever for a correct ignition coil for a WC52? Condensor also. Any compatible, reliable make and readily available from an autospares thanks.
Dunc
Bodge Deep

Post by Bodge Deep »

Hi Dunc
I replaced the coil and condenser on my WC51 about a month ago.
I found an old fashioned auto spares place near Lancaster & got a condenser that would fit in the dizzy cap to replace the original that'd finally packed up & they also had a 6V coil for a tenner so i got it in a ' I might need it one day' way. Then left the ignition on last week and knacked the coil so new one on too now! I'll dig out the boxes and get you the numbers. The condenser was Lucas and might have been for a Citroen... can't remember the make of the coil but i've done about 250 miles with no trouble (touch-wood!) :shock:

Post by Guest »

Thanks for that B-D, trouble is I'm on 12volts. Should have mentioned that eh. :oops:
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Give Steve River's at Dallas Autos a ring he's the font of all knowledge about this sort of thing.
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
Lang
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Lang »

Any coil from any car will work OK so long as it has an internal resistor. This will probably mean going back before the 1990's for most vehicles when external resistors (that little ceramic thing screwed on the side of the engine bay) became the standard.

Fit a new condensor. Once again this can be from anything but you will just have to go through the stack to get one with the right size, screw hole position and wire length to fit inside the distributor. take your old one down as a sample.

Lang
DS
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Post by DS »

Thanks for that Lang. Much appreciated. Auto electrics is outside my sphere totally so those are useful tips. I dont mind asking dumb questions if I get sensible answers! :D Cheers Dunc