A Dodge Enigma

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

A Dodge Enigma

Post by Tony B »

Hi all, finally I got to Bovington camp and the wartime photos of British Dodges. in the course of hunting about I also went to the Royal Signal Museum at Blandford and in a book on the Enigma machine I found a photo. The photo shows two WC54s Two WC63s a Jeep and a BMW car. the caption to the picture is"Vehicles of SLU8 with HQ of 3rd US Army group, codename Zeta on 17th May 1945 enroute from Regensburg to Versailles. Officially there were two dodge 6x6 trucks, two coverted ambulances for radio and chyper personnel, and a jeep. the BMW car was taken from a lock up gagrage in Frankfurt for OC Captain Hutchinson"
SLU- Special Liason unit - were what we would now call Sigint trucks. The hood number of one Dodge 54 is just about readable. USA 7521339. Anyone any ideas if this truck is still about, or any details on when or where she may have started out? If anyone wants an unual 54 I can get hold of equipment plans and layouts. :D :?:
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
The_MadMan
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Post by The_MadMan »

Do you have pictures of unusual WC51s too?
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

Tony:

I'm game.

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Hi guys unforyunatley the picture is very poor, I'll do my best with it. I can get the information of equipment and layout of the vehicle though. The SLUs worked with direction finder units. there job was to get as close to the front lines as possible and listen to enemy comms. They then liased with the DF units to plot the stations for artillery or air strikes. It was a hard dangerous and very secret job.
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

I have worked on the photo usual plea, will someone explain to me in idiot proof manner how to post the photo? :cry: :roll:
Bert
General
General
My garage: 1943 Dodge WC-51 "old bets"
1945 Dodge WC-62

Post by Bert »

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Thanks Bert, the next job is find out the kit they carried. I wqonder what the 63s were used for? From the photos they do not look like they were radio fitted.