Where to buy quality WC 3/4 Master Cylinder

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
353cckw
Private

Where to buy quality WC 3/4 Master Cylinder

Post by 353cckw »

The Master cylinder in my WC-54 failed again today in the middle of a Memorial Day parade. The 3rd failure in 2 years.

Using DOT 3 brake fluid. The push rod is new, correctly adjusted, and is pushing at that correct geometry (so that it does not angle push the internal rod/pluger/valve).

These Asian Rim built Masters (m-37 I believe) have all failed internally.

Who makes a Master that can be counted on to last.

I would use White Post but I don't have an original WC core for them to rebuild.

Your experience about Specific USA suppliers would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill
Scott

Master cylinder

Post by Scott »

Hi Bill,

Have you tried NAPA part# 544. I have one in my WC, no problems with it.

Scott

1943 WC-52
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

How can an M-37 Master Cylinder be "correct geometry" for a WWII 3/4 Ton WC when it does not have the angled tank? The MC-544 is not correct for the 3/4Ton 4X4 WC.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ugg »

RANGER:

This has been discussed many times on many different forums. I think #1, with the difficulty in obtaining the correct master, what Scott was talking about is one that has been commonly used as a replacement, with very minor "adjustments". Also, a dual tank master can be used, also with minor "adjustments". From what I remember (which may not be the best source :lol: ), the M 37 master is a close copy of the original WC master (at least looks ways).

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"
mannyc

mc

Post by mannyc »

barring going to a dual master cylinder mounted under the floorboard (i did it with late ffpw parts - a worthwhile project byw), the best bet would be to have an old wc 3/4 mc sleeved with stainless and rebuild with a new kit. that way you'll have the right part with internals that will resist failing for some time to come. slinging a inferior master under the truck or trying to hone and reuse an old one is a waste of time in my way of thinking.

mannyc
RANGER
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Post by RANGER »

How does one adjust the MC 244 M-37 Master Cylinder to work like the 3/4 Ton 4x4 WC Master Cylinder that has the tank at an angle?
I have one NOS original WC Cylinder in the MOPAR Box. Chrysler had a run of these made in the 70s. Alretta may still have some. I am saving it for a 3/4 Ton WC should I find the perfect one.
US ARMY HONOR GRADUATE MECHANIC, Restorer of fine Jeeps, MV's, MVPA 40+yrs, DAV, Army Aircrew member, Donor to Military Museums & CAF, MV Hobby since 1945
Other Hobby- Army Air Force & Busting Big Ass Military Imposters-Good at it
Kaegi

MC

Post by Kaegi »

RANGER wrote:How does one adjust the MC 244 M-37 Master Cylinder to work like the 3/4 Ton 4x4 WC Master Cylinder that has the tank at an angle?
I have one NOS original WC Cylinder in the MOPAR Box. Chrysler had a run of these made in the 70s. Alretta may still have some. I am saving it for a 3/4 Ton WC should I find the perfect one.
the M37 MC and the WC 3/4 ton MC are the same in all respects except for the sloped top of the WC version. NO "adjustments" are needed. I have started having wheel cyls and MCs sleeved with bronzed instead of stainless. The seals last longer with the bronze.
Ugg
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Re: MC

Post by Ugg »

Kaegi wrote:
RANGER wrote:How does one adjust the MC 244 M-37 Master Cylinder to work like the 3/4 Ton 4x4 WC Master Cylinder that has the tank at an angle?
the M37 MC and the WC 3/4 ton MC are the same in all respects except for the sloped top of the WC version. NO "adjustments" are needed. I have started having wheel cyls and MCs sleeved with bronzed instead of stainless. The seals last longer with the bronze.
Thanks Steve:

I thought it was you that had mentioned that before, but I didn't want to say because I don't trust my memory anymore. :oops: :lol: I think? :wink:

Later
Ugg 8)
1942 WC 53 "Da Beast"