Tool name question

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Mike in VA, USA
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Tool name question

Post by Mike in VA, USA »

I need a wrench to grip a smooth ring that has a row of holes 'round its circumference. I know what the tool looks like, but can't search for it without knowing the proper name for it. Anyone know?
Thanks
'42 WC51, '77 M880, lots of Voortrekker powerplants-Eeegad! they're procreating
Bill K.
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by Bill K. »

try adjustable spanner wrench
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Do you mean a tool or socket similar to what would be used to take off a grinding wheel?
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
Mike in VA, USA
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

tool

thing looks much like a question mark. I'm supplying myself with three days cooked rations before turning to the search engine, since I shall likely be there for some time to come.
Bill K.
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by Bill K. »

two types

Post by guest »

Hi:

There are two basic types of wrench for this application, as you may have holes or square notches or slots- the first is for the holes or notches on the outside surface of the nut (circumference, as you described), in which case the tool is a handle with a curved arm, the end of which has a pin for a round hole or a square boss for a slot. The second would be for holes or slots in the face of the nut, and the wrench would consist of a handle with a "C" shaped pair of arms with either pins for holes or square bosses for slots.

These wrenches may have pivot pins where the arm(s) meet the handle in order for the wrench to adjust to a limited range of different-sized nuts.
dstevens

hook & pin wrenches

Post by dstevens »

Take a look at this web site:
http://www.samstagsales.com/amf.htm
The wrenches they show for holes around the outside of the nut are called "hook wrenches". For those with holes on the surface of the nut, they refer to them as "pin wrenches".
Mike in VA, USA
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

I'm much obliged

Thanks so much, you guys are great!
Phil

Unknown tool

Post by Phil »

In engineering in the UK (there are a few factories left) we call them 'C' spanners. Most lathes have a locking ring behind the chuck that holds it onto onto the headstock spindle and a 'C' spanner is the bit of kit that tightens it up. I assume that in the US it is called the same thing except it may be called a 'c' wrench. Mark Twains 2 countries seperated by a common language!
---------------------------
1942 Dodge WC 51 and 1944 Leyland Hippo 6x4 10 tonner.[/url]