Oil Pan Gasket WC52

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Brent
Sergeant
Sergeant

Oil Pan Gasket WC52

Post by Brent »

Finally getting around to replacing oil pan gasket on my 1944 WC52. My motor is a T245. Is there any advice or tips anyone can give, or is it as simple as it looks?

Thanks in advance!

Brent
1944 WC-52
1945 Willys MB
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Just a few standard tips, 1 Have an absorbent ready for spills. 2 clean edges throughly of old gasket 3 clean bolt threads 4 DO NOT NOT NOT overtighten the bolts!!!! They are a bugger if they strip, use a proper torque wrench to about 10 to 14 lbs no more. A thin layer of Hermitite gasket sealer is always a help, for a start it holds the thing in place :wink:

Nearly forgot, have a good look at the bottom and the drain plug for any metal shavings, if its off its a good chance to have anose inside at bearings etc.
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
Brent
Sergeant
Sergeant

Thanks!

Post by Brent »

Thanks, Tony. I really appreciate the tips! Should I remove the clutch cover? My TM-10 suggests I do, but the TM-9 manual does not mention it.

Brent
1944 WC-52
1945 Willys MB
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

I think the gasket can be done without the clutch cover coming off. I have never removed one. If it isn't to bad a job and your not in a rush, won't do any harm to check whats under it. My system is to try and time such jobs so I can have a nice lazy day while still be able to say to people "Go away I'm Busy". Be a good opertunity to touch up marks and and rust patches underneath as well. I recommend flushing the engine before you drain the old oil.
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere