Dodges on the Somme

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Dodges on the Somme

Post by Tony B »

Steve (Canadian scotish) and I have been invited to take our WC51s over to the Somme at the end of the month to act as liasion vehicles in the 90th anniversary of the 1916 battle. anybody on the forum knows the local area? All help and advice gratfully recived. Some be some godd photo opertunitys. :D :D :D
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
The_MadMan
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Post by The_MadMan »

Man I wish I could join you but I can't :(

Perhaps you should look out for the book "before endevours fade" which descibes the area in detail. I can make scans if you want to, have the book here at home.
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Been thinking about it, there would have been Dodges around the place in 1917/18 possibly a few English made ones in 1939/40 definitley from 1944/45 and now the old girls are back again. They really do get everywhere. The main thing to remember is that on 1st July 1916 58,000 British soldiers plus French, Belgium and don't forget german died in one day, a decent sized town just gone. I know the book, have you read the unheard voices series?
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
The_MadMan
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Post by The_MadMan »

No not yet but I've heard about it, have you read Tommy?
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

No don't know that one. WW 1 isn't my feild but I have a lot of reading to do in the next couple of weeks. Touch wood my old Lady is turn key and go so the preperation is easy enough. The trip will be along the original approach march with full BBC coverage taking in sites such as Lochnigar crater and tours round the latest excavations in the area. Its an amazing chance to do something like this, I'm very lucky the Dodge has got me into some fantastic things the last few years.
The_MadMan
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Post by The_MadMan »

Indeed you are! Promise to take a lot of photos and share them with us!
Enigma
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Enigma »

I've been to a WW1 living history event near Paschendael a few weeks back. I wore a original US 1917/1918 uniform and gear.

Just wondering, don't you get broke with all those events you go to?
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

The joy of this one, and the beauty of having a good vehicle and taking care to act proffesionally is I get PAID, at least some of the time. for this one the only thing I've had to give up is 5 days holiday I would have had in the middle of November :(

For thing like the British Legion, our severicemens charity , and SAFA I always do things for nothing, anyway why spend thousands of pounds on a weeks holiday when for a lot less I can go to lots of shows and enjoy many days? Don't worry the camera will be going, and lots of cards plus the laptop to download, trouble is I will have to save for a bigger hard drive and the battery bill! :lol:
The_MadMan
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Post by The_MadMan »

Or burn them on CDROM at a nearby shop ;)
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

:lol: Got all the kit to burn them, I am taking my old laptop which is now just the album. It's getting the time. The problem and beauty of a didgital camera is you can just keep shooting till the perfect shot turns up :roll: