Gas leak question

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Jim M
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Gas leak question

Post by Jim M »

Have a question for the gathered masses here the Forum--took the WC for its first long drive for me. Filled the external gas tank with 5 gallons of gas. Drove about 10-15 mile to pick the kids up from school. Ran out of gas. Refilled the external with another 5 gallons of gas, drove home and ran out about after about 12-15 miles.
Saw that there is a fuel leak at the bottom of the non GI carb, wet but not dripping-minor. But could not find any other leaks.
This puts a real hamper on any hopes of driving anywhere longer than 10-15 miles :?
Suggestions, other than sell the WC :wink:

Jim M
proud owner of a 1942 WC 51 and now a 1942 WC 56!
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Replace the lot.

Post by Gordon_M »

In your position I'd start with the carb and replace the lot - all the way back to the tank.

First thing to check is the oil level in the sump, as if the pump diaphragm goes you pump more into the sump than the carb. If you have a sump full of oil / gas mixture drain it and don't go anywhewre till you change the pump.

It is not a big bucks option to get a replace military carb, fuel pump, fuel lines, fuel filter, and the like from Vintage Power Wagons and just stick it on your engine.

You are obviously not using the original tank, but it's no big deal to pull it, clean, seal, and refit - or even buy a spare if you have to.

Once you've done that lot you should be getting 10mpg or more which means you can afford to drive past the odd fuel stop.

Gordon
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

try a Land Rover 101 ambulance with a Rover 3.5 V8, the standing joke is floor it and you pass everything but the petrol stations :P
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
Kaegi

Fuel Leak

Post by Kaegi »

to leak that much fuel in so short a distance I would thin finding the massive leak would be obvious. So it kinda sounds like you have a bad coil. When coil go they work for 10 to 20 miles, quit totaly, cool down then work for another 10 to 20 miles. So by the time you get another five gallons in it has cooled down.

The fuek pump could be spraying it out thru the vent hole at high rpms but I would guess you would smell that. Let us knowwhat you find
Mike in VA, USA
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Internal bleeding

Post by Mike in VA, USA »

Smell the dipstick. Had the diaphram on the pump fail myself once. Gassed down the oil, and washed all the crud outa the engine too. I doubt it did the bearings and cylinders any good though. Some of what ends up in the pan evaporates and is thus gone, so the oil level wont rise quite as much as it would if an equivilent quantity of oil were added.
'42 WC51, '77 M880, lots of Voortrekker powerplants-Eeegad! they're procreating
Jim M
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Gas leak problem

Post by Jim M »

Will get out there this weekend and try to find where/what the problem is. I "Thank you" all for the advice to this problem. Knew I could depend on all of you for the correct advice for this problem.
Things on the WC may start to move just a little slower lately due to tearing my rotator cuff. I was trying to get the spare tire out of the back of the bed on the WC,when it got away from me. Not a lot of fun :cry:
But thanks to all for the help!
Round One to the WC, but it is not the battle :wink:

Jim M
proud owner of a 1942 WC 51 and now a 1942 WC 56!