Rear hub oil leak. Questions.

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
DS
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Rear hub oil leak. Questions.

Post by DS »

When I came back after a run yesterday I saw oil all around the rear tyre. Obviously coming from the axle centre 'cap'. (Sorry for any lack of correct terminology). Before I risk taking this off to replace the gasket/seal whatever, in theory does the gasket, I'm guessing is at the back of this cap, hold back anything other than just a weep of oil which might have found its way past a seal? Or is it doing a larger job of sealing the end? If there is a substantial amount of oil behind this cap am I right in thinking that a larger seal in there will have gone? If the seal has gone am I right in thinking that the content of the axle is likely to come flooding out on me if I remove the end cap? :) Somewhere I've got a couple of NOS seals in cosmo which I believe are labelled rear ones, so I'm guessing again that these will be for in here. Will I need any special tools outside normal workshop stuff to replace? Time wise, assuming no major problems how long would you allow for this job. This will help determine whether I tackle it before next weekends 100 mile run or leave it till after. Any help/advice for a rookie owner would be appreciated.
ThunderStick
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by ThunderStick »

No special tools needed to replace rear axle hub seals. The oil that is in there is what you have in the differential. So, nomally, and I say that with reservation, you are not going to get flooded when you pull the axle to replace the seal. Using the new seal and a good gasket sealant, you should be able to complete such a job in an hour for both sides. After you're done check your oil level in the differential and add as needed.
"What we've got here is ....... FAILURE ...... to communicate."

1941 Dodge WC-1, born 01/16/1941, adopted 10/19/2003
brian
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by brian »

dont forget to repack your bearings; couse you know the oil has contaminated them.

BB
if you cant afford the manual, you cant afford the truck!
wc-4
DS
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Post by DS »

Thanks fellas!
DS
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Post by DS »

Sorted tonight. Cheers.
ThunderStick
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by ThunderStick »

Let us know how you made out.....

DS
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Post by DS »

Everything seems to be oiltight and ok, so thanks for the input. Much appreciated.
ThunderStick
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by ThunderStick »

OK, good to know ya made out alright.