I like it, looks great
Steve
Vista52
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: Dodge WC12

Post by Vista52 »

Very nice!!
A great looking restoration. Are the wood slats on the bed sides an exotic Aussie hardwood?
Coming together is a Beginning...Keeping together is Progress...Working together is Success.
Be Yourself, Everyone else is Taken...Oscar Wilde
A POW is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him...WSC
Lang
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Lang »

The wood is Merbau or Kwila. A tropical hardwood with a beautiful tight grain oily finish. Used widely in Australia for exterior decking and railings. Very heavy but it does not weather and lasts forever.

MIKEN
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by MIKEN »

VERY VERY NICE. :thumbup:
Lang
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Lang »

Found a rear photo showing the woodwork. Rear reflectors have now been replaced with marble type.

dashtp40
Corporal
Corporal
My garage: WC-3

Post by dashtp40 »

Lang,
The natural wood sure looks nice. I've never seen bows like those, the hump on the top is a good idea, are they metal?
Steve
Lang
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Lang »

Steve

I have a new set of the steam bent early bows but I think they look terrible (like a John Wayne wagon train).

I decided to make a set out of square tube to the shape of the later flat-top style but the flat top not only looks a bit ordinary it guarantees the water will collect in two big puddles on top. So a couple of minutes on the band saw and I have what I hope will be both a nice looking shape for the canvas and have rain-shedding capability. Might even run a ridge pole yet.

I did not have any way of bending the square tube without distorting it so resorted to lobster-tail cuts and welding to the same radius as an original Dodge corner. A bit of grinding and a fingerful of Bondo and they look like mandrel bent corners.

Lang
Dozerman51
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by Dozerman51 »

Great looking Restoration. :thumbup: Let’s see some photos of the cab interior and engine compartment. Have you been able to find the 4.3 ratio R & P’s you were looking for a few months ago?
Dozerman51
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by Dozerman51 »

Are those PW/M-37 wheels that are on your truck? If so, I was under the impression that those wheels should not be used with the smaller 750-16 tires?
Dozerman51
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by Dozerman51 »

Here are some photos of your trucks older or younger sibling depending on the serial number.
Lang
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Lang »

Yes the wheels are M-37/PW style.

I have a set of 7.50 non-directional tyres on original 1/2 ton wheels for show use.

The photos show it with its wider wheels and radial tyres of the same diameter. They are a little bit wider than the 7.50 but ride and handle so much better on long trips. The safety factor is greatly increased as anyone who has driven the non-directional pattern on wet bitumen roads can attest - no more exciting tail break-away if pushed around a corner hard in the rain.

That hood number is original and was plainly visible when I bought the truck complete and running (sort of) in Texas. The dash data plate and chassis number match and the build card supports the army number dating so I feel confident it is not a hood off a different vehicle.

Still in the market for the two 4.3:1 ring and pinions. Any leads greatly appreciated.

Lang

Some interior photos a bit dirty from last trip and trying to get those useless vacuum wipers going again, again......

To answer the question before it is asked. Yes, there is a winch instruction plate on the lid. I havea full field winch kit (chassis extensions. PTO shafts etc) but figured I really do not need another 100kg sitting over the front axle at this stage. The data plate is original and untouched. The small plates were illegible so two repros.

I went mad with insulation sticking dynamat over the entire inner surface (floor, firewall, roof, doors) then on top of that put 3" glass wool insulation behind every panel, including roof lining. This Dodge is as quiet in the cab as a brand new RAM!

June J
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
My garage: 1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M38A1 Nekaf

Post by June J »

Looks superb Lang!

Cheers
Ian
1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M-38A1 Nekaf
Dozerman51
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by Dozerman51 »

[imgImage][/img]
Dozerman51
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by Dozerman51 »

well I Guess I need to resize the photos. at least I got one to work. LOL.