Bearing pre-load specs needed

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Dozerman51
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Bearing pre-load specs needed

Post by Dozerman51 »

Hello All,
Been a long long while since my last post on this forum. :( . Anyway , does anyone have the foot lb. specs for the adjustment of the steering knuckles beatings on a 1/2 ton WC-12. The maint. manual says a “perceptable” drag whatever the heck that means. I’m rebuilding the knuckles after swapping out my 4.30 ratio third members to 4.10 ratio ones. Thanks much in advance. :thumbup:
Joe Giraud
zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Re: Bearing pre-load specs needed

Post by zepher11 »

Hi Joe,

I have been looking at the diagrams and reading the TM for the knuckle adjustment as well. I will be getting there shortly on the Carryall project. The way the TM notes the procedure, it appears that the oil seals would/should be in place when making the the adjustment for the "perceptible" drag felt when oscillating the knuckle by hand, but it should not bind. Seems pretty straight forward...haha...
Zeph

"Why wasn't I born a 4F instead of good looking?" ...(The Story of GI Joe)
Dozerman51
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Re: Bearing pre-load specs needed

Post by Dozerman51 »

Hi Zepher11,
It’s very confusing as the 3/4 ton WC manual says to have the oil seals out and aslo the front universal drive shaft out as well. Then the knuckle bearings need to be set with a preload of 25 - 27 Ft Lbs. of torque when rotating the knuckles back and forth. The Civi. Power Wagon manual also shows the same adjustment sequence as well. :?: