Removing the rear hub

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
PareosWC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Removing the rear hub

Post by PareosWC »

Wardog, you're gonna have to post a pic of what you're working with. Sounds to me as the brakes are not adjusted at the top and bottom, therefore, they hang up against the inside of the drum...

Whatever you do, resist the urge to pound on the drum with a big friggin' hammer :lol:
WarDog
Corporal
Corporal
My garage: 1941 dodge wc9

Post by WarDog »

Im sorry i miss spoke the back nut was way to tight. The rear wheel bearing is still in place. The drum will move about 1/16 in. I know the jam nuts where really tight, so the wheel bearing is stuck in place. What should i do to remove the bearing and drum?
WarDog
Corporal
Corporal

Post by WarDog »

Ok i miss spoke again sorry im having a rough go. I keep saying the inner bearing but its the outer bearing. I have removed the axle, seal, nut, lock, and nut. I have the brakes backed off hub spins freely. The drum should come off now correct? Its stripped to the outer bearing. But it want come off am i missing something? I have followed the steps in tm 10-1123/1443. Its the only help ive got. And i really dont want to mess up. I have bought all the bearing sets from Vintage Power Wagon. I also got all new wheel cylinders and lines from Midwest military. I cant seem to get my pics to post it says they are to big. But i can email them to anyone who could help. Thank y'all for any help.
zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by zepher11 »

WarDog wrote:Ok i miss spoke again sorry im having a rough go. I keep saying the inner bearing but its the outer bearing. I have removed the axle, seal, nut, lock, and nut. I have the brakes backed off hub spins freely. The drum should come off now correct? Its stripped to the outer bearing. But it want come off am i missing something? I have followed the steps in tm 10-1123/1443. Its the only help ive got. And i really dont want to mess up. I have bought all the bearing sets from Vintage Power Wagon. I also got all new wheel cylinders and lines from Midwest military. I cant seem to get my pics to post it says they are to big. But i can email them to anyone who could help. Thank y'all for any help.
E-mail me some of your photos and I'll post for you. Sent to: zepher11@yahoo.com
Zeph

"Why wasn't I born a 4F instead of good looking?" ...(The Story of GI Joe)
WarDog
Corporal
Corporal

Post by WarDog »

Thank you zepher11 i sent you the pics. If you need more i can take them my computer is down so i have to use my phone for everything.
krisinwa.st.
Sergeant
Sergeant
My garage: 1942 dodge wc21 open cab
1953 reo m49 tanker

Post by krisinwa.st. »

E-mail me some of your photos and I'll post for you.

You the man Zeph !!!
zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by zepher11 »

Man, those were some big dog photos wardog! I made them about 85k from 6MB. Here you go. I numbered them so you can reference:

Photo #1

Photo #2

Photo #3

Photo #4

Photo #5
Zeph

"Why wasn't I born a 4F instead of good looking?" ...(The Story of GI Joe)
krisinwa.st.
Sergeant
Sergeant
1953 reo m49 tanker

Post by krisinwa.st. »

Wardog , check out the picture hosting site called postimage , I use it
and if I can make it work anyone can , , postimage had a glich a few
weeks ago and my pictures were taken down , however they can be
re-stored super easy . but now the site is back to normal .
WarDog
Corporal
Corporal

Post by WarDog »

Thank you guys. Im kinda in shock that people actually offered. As bad as i hate to say this its rare now days. I know my truck is at best a 1. But i love it and it has avery deep meaning to me. So thank you. I am tryn my best to learn on the fly. Not 1 local varage will even offer to touch it so its just me. I did get some new rubber i hope i get to use them. So doe anything about my drum being stuck make scene? I got her stripped down, rolls freely but want come off. I was told not to try the hammer approach. So i went and bought a 5 ton hydraulic gear puller from harbor freight. Would that be ok to try and use?
krisinwa.st.
Sergeant
Sergeant
1953 reo m49 tanker

Post by krisinwa.st. »

WarDog wrote:Thank you guys. Im kinda in shock that people actually offered. As bad as i hate to say this its rare now days. I know my truck is at best a 1. But i love it and it has avery deep meaning to me. So thank you. I am tryn my best to learn on the fly. Not 1 local varage will even offer to touch it so its just me. I did get some new rubber i hope i get to use them. So doe anything about my drum being stuck make scene? I got her stripped down, rolls freely but want come off. I was told not to try the hammer approach. So i went and bought a 5 ton hydraulic gear puller from harbor freight. Would that be ok to try and use?
WarDog ,

You won't meet a better group of people any were else , this forum has been kinda
slow lately , but it should pick up now that you need some advice , I would take my time and figure out what is wrong with the brake drum not co-operating , if you try and force
it something will break..., look at it as a challenge , it's rewarding when all works out
as it should , plus you can never have to many tools .
WarDog
Corporal
Corporal

Post by WarDog »

Thanks to all. The drum is off. The gear puller worked. The inner wheel bearing is toats. The drum looks good with no real wear or grooves its gking back all new as i got the kits from VPW. Im sure i will need more advice very soon lol. Thank you all for the help.
krisinwa.st.
Sergeant
Sergeant
1953 reo m49 tanker

Post by krisinwa.st. »

Did you get new races with the bearings ? what was the problem with
the drum not coming off easy ?
WarDog
Corporal
Corporal

Post by WarDog »

The rear bearing was down. Once i put alitte pressure it came really easy. Very big llesson for me. I should have new everything. I order complete bearing kits from VPW. I have also learned another new thing. My wc9 is a very early model. My front and rear wheel cylinder are the same. I have to return the rear i got from Midwest and they are sending me a new set. Good people, John is very helpful. Although i think he dont speak hillbilly lol.
krisinwa.st.
Sergeant
Sergeant
1953 reo m49 tanker

Post by krisinwa.st. »

Do you have the frame / serial number ( it's stamped on the left front
frame rail just in front of the tire ) it's more than likely covered in paint ,
it will tell you very close the date of manufacture .
WarDog
Corporal
Corporal

Post by WarDog »

Yeah i was going with what i was told by Midwest military. 8663010 is the number. Does that help any? I was reading a post about getting a card for it but i got to get form printed out and i think 30 dollar money order.