3/4T Cross member shear

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
PareosWC
Sergeant
Sergeant

3/4T Cross member shear

Post by PareosWC »

Seems like it's easy enough to mig weld closed, but what kind of force can shear the front cross member of a 3/4T truck? Perhaps this happened when the cross member was first formed? Anyone else see this on their trucks? this crack isn't wide, but the length is approximately an inch, and starts where the cross member ends, and meets the frame rail..

June J
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
My garage: 1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M38A1 Nekaf

Re: 3/4T Cross member shear

Post by June J »

Hi,
I had an identical crack on my WC 53. Not sure why it cracked as I did NOT have the same crack on my WC 57 which I suspect had a tougher life then My "53.

Ian
1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M-38A1 Nekaf
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

i have had a few WCs crack there. the frames have no gussets because they are designed to twist a whole bunch offroad to keep all 4 wheels on the ground. something has to give at some point. so many of these crack in that spot and never get any worse i cant see it as an issue to be concerned about.
PareosWC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by PareosWC »

Kaegi, thanks for the explanation. I didn't even think about the twisting motion :thumbup: . Makes you wonder where these vehicles have been in their lifetime. If only they could talk.
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

I hope you take it out and do some offroading if you havent already. they really twist alot. it ads to the unstoppable performance. :thumbup: