Water pump bolts/studs

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
PareosWC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Water pump bolts/studs

Post by PareosWC »

Gents, I'm applying a new water pump to my 230 motor, installed into the WC52. My WC manual shows (3) studs utilized. May I ask what length bolts you used in your block, and where did you place them? Looking at the front of the motor, I plan on using a stud at the 3 o'clock position, but which lengths to use at the 9 and 6?

Thanks! Got a good price on a Gates, then learned it was Chinese...
jim lee
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade
My garage: M37

Re: Water pump bolts/studs

Post by jim lee »

You may want to use bolts? There is not a lot of room between the pump and radiator when everything is together. If you need to pull the pump, studs may be an issue. Also, there is at least two different pump castings that have at least one mounting hole longer than the other. I'd take the pump you plan on using and match up a set of bolts that will fit.

-jim lee
PareosWC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by PareosWC »

Jim, I did not even think about the stud hindrance when removing the water pump :thumbup:

I plan on running the motor a good bit before assembling all of the sheet metal, just to ensure we're free of leaks..
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

WC 3/4 tons used studs on the water pump and the cylinder head from the factory. later dodge trucks used bolts. studs are more reliable than bolts but it does mean you have to move the radiator farther out of the way to pull pump
PareosWC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by PareosWC »

Kaegi, I ended up using new bolts at the 9 and 6 positions, but kept a stud at the 3 position where the genny brace is..
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

bolts do make life easier. same with the head. studs on the head look cool tho. ;/)