Wc12 hub modification

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Gijoew
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Wc12 hub modification

Post by Gijoew »

I have two sets of hubs for my dodge. Can I just mill out the inside of a set for two wheel drive?
Thank you.
gyknot
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
My garage: '41 dodge wc-1
'45 IHC m5h6

Re: Wc12 hub modification

Post by gyknot »

I believe you are referring to the driving flanges when you say hubs. Yes you can machine out the splines so the hubs will just freewheel on the axles. Of course if you do, you will have to unbolt the turned out hubs and bolt the splined originals on if you do want 4 wheel drive again. I'm sure you already know that however.
Also I have heard it suggested that you bore oversize and press in a bronze bushing for the axle to ride on rather than just the steel of the hub.
This is actually an old trick to make the trucks 2 wheel drive. A lot of jeep people used to do this.
Gijoew
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Post by Gijoew »

Thank you for the bronze bushing idea. That’s exactly what I’m talking about.
June J
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
My garage: 1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M38A1 Nekaf

Post by June J »

I would strongly advise you to fit some free wheeling hubs. 1/2 ton parts are getting harder to find these days, and free wheeling hubs are just a flick of the wrist to go from 2 wheel to 4 wheel drive. Some olive drab paint, and most folks wont be any the wiser :wink:

Ian
1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M-38A1 Nekaf
Lang
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Lang »

I have just fitted free wheel hubs to my WC 12 almost finished restoration.

Always have had them on all my vehicles. The difference is really significant. Killing the noise of all that machinery whirring around needlessly make life so much better. They seem to steer better as well.

Many claims for better fuel consumption, and common sense says it is true, but I have never measured that fine a difference.

I agree, by the time you mess around with bushes and boring out hubs which can not be reversed, getting a second set for 4x4 situations (and hope you don't have to do it on the road) you would be vastly better off with the free wheeling hubs.

If you want the semi=permanent free wheel hubs here is a set, properly engineered for cheaper than you could do yourself.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/set-freewheel- ... 1961779443

And here are the strongly recommended free wheel selector hubs

/www.ebay.com/itm/Selectro-11027-01-Lock ... Oi&vxp=mtr

Lang