Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
My garage: 1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M38A1 Nekaf

Hood Hinge Question

Post by June J »

Hi folks,
I recently purchased a new hood hinge from John Bizal, and wondered if anyone fabricated a tool for swaging the rivets that attach the hood wings to the hinge?

Photos or sketches would be very much appreciated.

CHeers

Ian
1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M-38A1 Nekaf
Ray Edsall
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Re: Hood Hinge Question

Post by Ray Edsall »

G,Day Ian .Maybe you could try one of them old style brake shoe riveters . May need some modification , but it is only a idea Ray
June J
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
1941 Willys MB
1960 M38A1 Nekaf

Post by June J »

Hi Ray,
that thought had crossed my mind but it would be a real mongrel to manage!

Ian
1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M-38A1 Nekaf
Lang
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Lang »

I replaced the hinge on my Carryall a couple of years ago.

I have a clamp in the vice type brake shoe riveter with various shape punches. I just used one of the punches free hand with a hammer to hit the hood hinge rivets and they all closed up very nicely.

I don't think it would be hard to make an eye-pleasing punch on a grinder out of a bit of scrap mild steel rod or an old bolt. Main thing is just hit them until they spread enough to be firm because if you keep whacking you will distort both the top side of the rivet and the hood sheet metal.

A good way to keep it all together is put a couple of pop rivets in to hold everything in alignment then lay the hood on the ground or a table on an old blanket and just move whatever you are using for a dolly along.

Lang
June J
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
1941 Willys MB
1960 M38A1 Nekaf

Post by June J »

Hi Lang,
thanks for that, it sounds good. The hinge is for my Carry-All, the new hinge seems shorter than the old one, is that your experience?

Cheers

Ian :x
1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M-38A1 Nekaf
Lang
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Lang »

Ian

I bought my hinge from Vintage Power Wagons but I would guess they come from the same place John gets his.

The hinge fitted just fine.

I did have success on my first Carryall with the "hinge repair kit". The fingers that go into the brackets on the firewall and radiator surround were buggered but the main hinge section was perfect. I think this is a common problem as people bend them when removing the hood, particularly if they are struggling by themselves. The kit came with instructions and rivets - just the end bits with a couple of inches of hinge. You can not see the join.

Lang
June J
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
1941 Willys MB
1960 M38A1 Nekaf

Post by June J »

Thanks Lang, I am wondering about the end piece kits, Might be a simpler repair than the whole hinge, and very reasonable cost.

Cheers

Ian
1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M-38A1 Nekaf
Lang
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Lang »

Ian

Just had a thought that the reason you came up short on the hinge length is the weapon carrier and carryall have slightly different length hoods - flat vs sloping. There is a lot of adjustment on the hinge anchor bracket screw holes, I think nearly an inch - which should bring them up tighter.

Lang
June J
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
1941 Willys MB
1960 M38A1 Nekaf

Post by June J »

Hi Lang,
yeah, I found that when I compared the Carry-All hood to the Command Car. I also did a search on the forum and found that very fact. I think your idea of the repair kit might be a good strategy.

Cheers

Ian
1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M-38A1 Nekaf
SteveJ
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade
My garage: 1943 Dodge WC52
1986 Armstrong MT500EC Canadian Military Dispatch Motorcycle

Post by SteveJ »

Hello Ian
Ive trying to figure a way to explain how to rivet your hood hinge. Im attaching a video off youtube Its aircraft related but the process is the same. I dont know it you have an aviation supply company around where you live but you may need a couple of tools. Its easy for me as aviation is my trade so I have everything I need for the job.
The basics would be an
air hammer (rivet gun) with a flat rivet set.
an appropriate bucking bar
some clecos the correct diameter of the rivet holes
some cleco pliers

I hope this helps a bit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2hoc-Q2NlI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zQaMz7rtqY
1943 Dodge WC52 8)
Lang
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Lang »

Steve

I think the Dodge hood rivets are a lot more simple than putting a skin on an aircraft.

There is no need for Clecos or powered rivet gear because both the hood skin and hinge are so thick and strong they will not distort like alclad. As I said a couple of pop rivets will hold it in place until you get a few started and even they are not really essential.

I had no problems with a hand held punch and hammer and a standard body shop small hand dolly as a bucking bar and job was done in 15 minutes without assistance.

If you have the pro gear use it but certainly don't stress over it if you haven't.

Lang
SteveJ
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade
My garage: 1943 Dodge WC52

Post by SteveJ »

Lang

Just trying to help with some options that Im familiar with. But it seems like you have all the answers.
1. no one was talking about aircraft skin riveting. its a simple piano hinge
2. Clecos have nothing to do with strength of material and putting in and removing a pop rivet takes way longer.
3. powered rivet gear, and hammers will distort any material if you don't use them right. A cleco has nothing to do with it
4. I call BS on your 15 minute turn around time to hand buck both sides of that hinge.

No wonder the forum has little traffic :(
1943 Dodge WC52 8)
Lang
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Lang »

Steve

Sorry for that. We are all trying to help.

You are offering methods you have experience with and no doubt will work just fine - I never said it will not work, just commenting that I have done this exact job in a quicker, cheaper way if you don't have the pro tools at hand (you actually suggested buying a set of one use, for the average person, tools worth much more than the job).

I don't know, but because the hinge rivets are very light hollow "tin" not solid aircraft style, I suspect the hand method may even be better. I got on a roll with them and after judging the strength of hit by working carefully at the start was soon closing them with one or two hits before moving to the next one.

As an aircraft mechanic you do know that clecos are related to the strength of the material. If you try to progressively do a long alclad panel, pre-drilled like the hinge, not held by regular spaced clecos it will walk and by the time you get to the end the holes won't line up perfectly. I mentioned the heavy steel in the hood job does not need this support for the light rivets we are using.

We are all trying to give Ian the benefit of experience - not just opinion -
all our experience is different.

I apologise if you feel offended

Lang

Ian

More than likely this is what Chrysler used to squeeze the original rivets (or a foot operated version of it).
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hand-Rivet- ... SwnTJXAsmn

If you have some motor cycle or lycra-clad mates they are sure to have a chain breaker which would do a great job on those light hollow hinge rivets. You would need one with a reasonable throat reach not the little pocket jobs.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Portable-Mo ... SwQTNZui4M
June J
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
1941 Willys MB
1960 M38A1 Nekaf

Post by June J »

Hi folks,
thanks for all of your input and suggestions, all input is very much appreciated and will ultimately result in a good outcome.

CHeers

Ian
1942 Dodge WC 53
1941 Willys MB
1960 M-38A1 Nekaf