Straightening WC52 bumpers?

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
PareosWC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Straightening WC52 bumpers?

Post by PareosWC »

Gents- what is the tool of choice for straightening the front bumper(ettes) on a WC52? Not sure if a 20T press can keep this thick metal from springing back to the bent state. Looked like the previous owner liked to just use the bottom portions of both of them to move logs around :shock: .

Plan of action is to heat them red hot and use a 5lb hammer to 'work them' back into shape?
Ray Edsall
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Re: Straightening WC52 bumpers?

Post by Ray Edsall »

G,day mate . i think you are on the right track . Probably a combination of both methods .If one fails try the next .May be a bigger {Sludge} hammer would not go astray . Ray
motto
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Harley Davidson 42WLA, Dodge WC63, Dodge WC57, Chevrolet 1-1/2 ton 4x4. Originally an Earth Borer, Pole Setter. Drilling rig gone and truck now mounts a #7 Set Lifting Frame. i.e.: Light Wrecker.

Post by motto »

It depends how good you want them to look. In my opinion once bent out of shape they are nigh on impossible to make 'like new' again. The bumpers being at the extremity of the vehicle have a great effect on overall appearance and if appearance is important then you would be better off buying a set of repro bumpers from Midwest Military. I'm very happy with them on my trucks.

David
PareosWC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by PareosWC »

The one thing I am thankful for, is that both are almost identically bent in the same direction, and the same amount when you look at them head on...

dashtp40
Corporal
Corporal
My garage: WC-3

Post by dashtp40 »

I had my WC-3 front bumper straightened at a machine shop on a press,don't know what size the press was. It is straight but has some minor waves and wrinkles, but for my truck it adds some more character. I also think if you want it to look new a new one might be the way to go as I think it would be very difficult to get it worked smooth.
Steve
PareosWC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by PareosWC »

Steve- any idea what gauge thickness these bumpers are?
dashtp40
Corporal
Corporal

Post by dashtp40 »

I will measure it tomorrow and let you know.
Steve
GG
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade

Post by GG »

I had a small 10 ton press, 20 pound hammer, and torches, it still looked beat up when I got done, but I'm not a body man for sure.
I ended up buying repro from John
Looked better than new.
GG
1942 WC 58
1950 Dodge B2B
1950 CJ3A
1943 WC 63 (Sold)
dashtp40
Corporal
Corporal

Post by dashtp40 »

Pareos,
The thickness of my WC-3 bumper measures .175 in. thick.I hope this helps.
Steve
Lang
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Lang »

No help for bent 3/4 bumper but I just replaced the bumper on the WC12 I am rebuilding. Went to the local steel place and there was a perfect replacement as a standard section. It was rolled so it has round edges like original and probably about 1mm thicker . Height and width correct. Took about 10 minutes to put the crank handle hole and all for $50.

Lang
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

they will move easy in a press. they are not cold rolled steel. hot rolled bends easier. I think they made them this way on purpose. The frames are very strong and heat treated. the bumperettes will bend before the frame does. I say thats a good engineering idea. I would try press first
PareosWC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by PareosWC »

Thanks! Once I get back to the house, I'll try it and advise you guys on the result..