Dodge Spring Height

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Lang
Sergeant
Sergeant

Dodge Spring Height

Post by Lang »

Does anyone have measurements for the spring height in a 1/2 ton Dodge (bump stop to chassis or maybe ground to bumper or chassis)

Lang
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: Dodge Spring Height

Post by Gordon_M »

Happy New Year down there Lang, hope it is warmer than here in Aberdeen

I don't have a dimension for you, but I alway just check by sliding my hand between the bump stop and chassis and looking for the gap to be the same both sides.

Another good check is the angle of the moving shackle. Unloaded, the moving shackles should be angled maybe five or ten degrees ahead of vertical, and again, same both sides. It is common to see springs that have been reached and left too 'high' with the shackles angled back - not good.
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
dashtp40
Corporal
Corporal
My garage: WC-3

Post by dashtp40 »

Lang,
These are the measurements on my WC-3. Front spring, from the top of the main leaf to the bottom of the frame is 4 1/2 in. The length from center to center of the mounting bolts are 39 1/2 in. The rear spring, from the top of the main leaf to the bottom of frame is 7 5/8 in. From center to center of mounting bolts is 51 in. According to my TM 10-1123/1443 the length of the front spring should be 39 in. and the rear 52 in. The shackles on my truck set about the way Gordon described. I hope this helps.
Steve
Lang
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Lang »

Thanks for the info. I will check my settings.

Lang
Lang
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Lang »

Steve

Measured mine. Higher than yours at the back and lower at the front. Looks OK so will leave it.

I am thinking about putting telescopic shocks on the front as the originals are seized. The rears are working OK.

Lang
dashtp40
Corporal
Corporal

Post by dashtp40 »

Lang,
The rear springs on my truck are original so I would imagine they sag a little bit, I had a local spring shop replace the broken main leaves on the front springs. But they looked close to the TM specs. I suppose you could install telescoping shocks on the front. Maybe fabricate a bracket to bolt on the frame where the original shock was mounted to bolt the top of the shock to? I suspect it would be cheaper than finding some serviceable originals.
Steve
Lang
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Lang »

For telescopic shock absorbers I have a couple of bolt on brackets off a 1930/40 era Chevrolet utility. They rise up about 6 inches then arch over to take the top of the shock. Look like they will be a quick fix.

Lang
dashtp40
Corporal
Corporal

Post by dashtp40 »

Lang
That sounds like a good idea. I was lucky all of the original shocks work on my truck, I had to install new bushings in the linkage then service them with oil. A couple of them leak a little so I have to clean them off every once in a while.
Steve