Restoration Dodge Air Filter

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
MIKEN
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Restoration Dodge Air Filter

Post by MIKEN »

Anyone restored a 1/2 ton Dodge oil bath air filter? My filter needs new filter media since it is old and contaminated.
These air filters are sealed but wondered if anyone has taken one apart to replace the filter media or converted one to
a new paper filter element? Mike
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Re: Restoration Dodge Air Filter

Post by Kaegi »

they are designed to be cleaned out. the ones that have jute need to be cleaned with the right stuff. I think kerosene? the manual will tell you. the ones that have steel wool elements you can clean with anything. some people convert to paper but it is not superior to oil bath. I have read a bit of research done by the SAE and they have a scoring system when they test things and paper and oil bath scored the same. the oil bath was better at removing the finer particles and the paper was better at removing the larger ones.
The unit used on 1/2 tons was the same as civilian and can be found NOS or in VG condition with some searching.
I always keep mine oil bath. then I don't have to ever find the right paper element. just need 1 Qt. and your good.
Tinknocker25
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade
My garage: 1941 Dodge WC12 w/ 44th engineer regiment company A markings on the door

Re: Restoration Dodge Air Filter

Post by Tinknocker25 »

We cut the guts out of ours and replaced it with a FRAM that fit in there perfectly.... There is no sloppy sloshing oil and an easy maintenance issue to replace. We tried to go 100% with the truck, however, the filter was just disgusting and we just decided nobody would ever know besides it was an upgrade!

I believe it was a FRAM CA8805