Themoose74
Corporal
Corporal
My garage: 1945 GPW
1944 MB
1942 WC 55 (reconfigured to a 52)

Universal Joints

Post by Themoose74 »

I was crawling beneath my '42 WC52 yesterday afternoon dealing with some brake line issues. On a sidetrack thought, I grabbed the propeller shafts, shook them and found that I am in need of some u-joints.

While looking for part numbers, I found that they switched shafts during production and if I'm reading it all clearly, it sounds like this changed the size of the u-joints, too.

Being that this truck is 75 years old, I how can I determine if I have the smaller size shaft or if it was replaced sometime in its life?

Thank you in advance for your info!
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Re: Universal Joints

Post by Kaegi »

the Ujoints on the front and rear shafts never changed size. the short shaft between trans and transfer case changed early in production. the Early trucks used the smaller ujoint same part number as used on front and rear shaft. then they upgraded the short shaft to the larger ujoint that is shared with the 6x6 and all post war Power Wagons and M37s. the early drivelines has cast yokes and the later used the 6x6 type yokes that are forged. Also same as PW and M37
Themoose74
Corporal
Corporal
My garage: 1945 GPW
1944 MB
1942 WC 55 (reconfigured to a 52)

Post by Themoose74 »

Ah ha! Glad I asked. I was definitely confused.

Thank you.
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

does the short shaft have the larger ujoints? If not you may want to upgrade. parts to do it are not hard to come by