WC-54 Searchlights

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
mdeevl
Corporal
Corporal

WC-54 Searchlights

Post by mdeevl »

Were all WC-54s factory equipped with searchlights? Mine has an oval plate on the outside, where the lamp would go, but no hole on the inside! ?

There are so many pictures of restored ambulances lacking any sign of having had a light! The link is a picture of mine. https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1 ... &source=47
svaasand
Corporal
Corporal
My garage: WC 51, WC57, WC62, WC54

Re: WC-54 Searchlights

Post by svaasand »

The manuals and parts lists are not conclusive on this point. The only spotlight in the parts lists is the Appleton 90, which was definitely used in 1942-1943. What happened after this is not documented.. Period pictures shows ambulances withouth spotlights, and with the Unity S5 spotlight.
However, the WC64 which started production in 1945 was delivered with a spotlight (a Unity on a different mounting). This proves that the Army did not decide that spotlights were not needed on ambulances.
I believe all ambulances were delivered with lights, but at some date in 1943/1944 they switched from Appleton to Unity. There is of course also a possibility that due to shortages some production runs were accepted without the lights.
WC51/WC52/WC54/WC57/WC62 and jeep