How to add brake fluid?

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
jim lee
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade
My garage: M37

How to add brake fluid?

Post by jim lee »

So this is my first 3/4 ton WC. I need to bleed the brakes but.. How in the world do you get brake fluid into the master cylinder? The silly thing is hidden under the steering box. And on top of that, its mounted at an angle. Is there some trick for doing this that I'm missing?

Thanks millions!

-jim lee
zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Re: How to add brake fluid?

Post by zepher11 »

One needs to remove the driver's side floor board to access the master cylinder. It's not the most convenient process. Some rig a remote reservoir and adapt the M/C cap to make it an easier process. A member here was selling the conversion for the remote reservoir:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13028&p=78415&hilit ... oir#p78415

Others make their own:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13028&p=78415&hilit ... oir#p78415

Also, The 3/4 ton Dodge WC's used a sloped master cylinder that would be level when installed. They are regularly replaced with the later level style that were used on the M37's and would be uneven when installed on a Dodge WC 3/4 ton truck. Here is what the original sloped master cylinders looked like. Midwest Military sells a reproduction of this unit:

Hopefully, this helps a bit.
Zeph

"Why wasn't I born a 4F instead of good looking?" ...(The Story of GI Joe)
jim lee
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by jim lee »

Yeah, thanks, helps a lot! Mine doesn't have the handy slope to it. I guess I'll start working on pulling the floor up. Sigh..

-jim lee
G. Miskovsky
Technician 3rd Grade
Technician 3rd Grade
My garage: 1942 WC-51, 1943 Ben Hur

Post by G. Miskovsky »

Jim,

I made my own with a PVC glue can. Works great.
AIRBORNE ALL THE WAY!
Gus

'42 WC-51, '43 Ben Hur
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

a small brake fluid bottle can fit down there to pour it in or use a funnel.
my company also sells a remote reservoir fill kit. see the classifieds. (sorry for shameless plug ;/))
wc63-1944
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade
My garage: 1944 WC63 Dodge
1957 M201 Hotchkiss
1943 Jeep Trailer (under restoration)
1950's Pollynorm Jeep Trailer

Post by wc63-1944 »

A funnel and flexible pipe is what I use. Just don't be too heavy handed when pouring the fluid in.

Cheers,
Chris.
GoranWC51
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
My garage: 1945 Dodge WC51 (Febr 12 1945)

1945 Bantam T3 or Willys MBT

Post by GoranWC51 »

Kaegi: For those here that are not familiar with who you are, and the name of your company, please post the link to your website, I'm sure no one objects?

Goran N
Goran Noren
Dodge WC51 1945
Built: 2/12/1945
Marked as an ambulance of the
Brazilian Expeditionary Force, Italy 1944-45
&
Willys MBT
ACM no 57482
Manufactured: July 1943

MVBros - Your need - our mission
jim lee
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by jim lee »

Ok, now is there some sort of adapter to hook a vacuum bleeder to the big 'Ol bleeder valve stems on the wheels?

Sheesh, I can't seem to get anywhere on this with a standard set of tools.

-jim lee
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

did you bench bleed the master cylinder before install? if not you need to bleed it out at the line coming out of the master, then move to the wheels. I have never needed to use a vacuum or pressure bleeder on one of these trucks. But if you do, pressure is way better than vacuum. Our kit with hose and fitting can be hooked up to a pressure bleeder if desired.
jim lee
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by jim lee »

Installed? No, I was just trying to bleed the brakes with the master cylinder that was already in there.

Fist hurtle was figuring out how the bleeders worked. The bolt on the end really threw me.
Then I got a vacuum bleeder thing. But there was no good way to attach it.
Next day went back to parts store with bleeder valve in hand. Standard 7/16 modern valve seems to be the ticket.
Can't pull enough vacuum to do anything with silly hand pump thing, hands are now sore.
Went back to the shop and grabbed the vacuum pump. Just about collapsed the fluid catch cup. Still no luck.
Seems something is blocking the line between the rear of the truck & the master cylinder.
Spent today pulling the master cylinder. Tomorrow will hopefully be location and repair of the blockage. (We'll see..)

Most of the issue today was pulling the Dust shield. Backing nuts in places you can't get to. Were the backing nuts originally welded to he frame?

-jim lee
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

if getting flow at front but not rear then most likely the hose from farm to axle in the rear is bad.
jim lee
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by jim lee »

Actually, never saw any at the front either.

But today, I plan on laying underneath the beast and tear things apart 'till I find the issue.

And you Kaegl, you really have no obvious links for your stuff. The of the most important things about business it to always make it easy for people to give you money.

-jim lee
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

I try to follow the forum etiquette and only advertise in classifieds. its under the header Remote Brake fluid Reservoirs. :thumbup:
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

your master cylinder could be no good. if you have been pumping and pumping and getting no pressure seals maybe fried. These trucks normally bleed out very easily.
open bleeder, push pedal down, close bleeder let pedal up. repeat till you get a stream. When I am alone and have no pressure bleeder, I start at the front left because I can reach the bleeder and the pedal from the ground at the same time. That is enough to get air out of the first few feet of the system at least to the junction block and front left wheel. Then I get help to do the other 3.

some times when an MC is marginal and other work is done requiring bleeding the system, the piston gets pushed down into the dirt in the front of the MC and the seal give up the ghost.
jim lee
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by jim lee »

I'm pretty sure the MC, as you called it is bad. There's fluid running out of the boot where the brake petal rod goes in. Its also the wrong one. Not slanted. It was a bugger to get out. But I was able to clear the lines from the rear wheels. Then moving to the front? Everything is clogged. On the driver's wheel the hose was clogged from the wheel to the axel. The tube from the driver's wheel to the T is clear, but it looks copper. I thought that was a no-no for brake lines. I'm pretty sure the hose from the passenger wheel to axel is clogged as well, but I haven't been able to get it disconnected. And I'm betting axel to frame hose is clogged like you suggested.

I think this poor thing has sat for a few decades. Luckily I think it was stored in a barn or something. I'm pretty impressed at what stuff undernieth is actually still there. I've seen so many where there's very little left to work with.

I got the 1960 pink slip for the machine. Well, when we were kids we called 'em pink slips. It showed the engine # as the VIN #. And the engine # is for an M37. So I guess sometime in the 50s they swapped out for a new engine in there.

-jim lee