Dodge WC16 Radio Command Car - Project

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Re: Dodge WC16 Radio Command Car - Project

Post by zepher11 »

zepher11 wrote:
Kaegi wrote:I think I have a couple of the half ton volt meter plates still. I had a batch of half and 3/4 ton plates made in brass a few years back. Do you have the dimensions and a pic of the 1/2 ton plate? I also have other plates still as well all in brass.
That's cool. My original half-ton Note (volt meter) Plate is 1 3/8 inches x 2 3/8 inches. I believe it is a little smaller than the 3/4 ton plate, but not sure as I have never seen one.
Zeph

"Why wasn't I born a 4F instead of good looking?" ...(The Story of GI Joe)
zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by zepher11 »

Took a shot at painting the registration numbers on a week or so ago:

Zeph

zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by zepher11 »

Finished up the map table and floor board:

Also, found some time to install the trailer socket:

Nice to get a few things knocked out.
Zeph

zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by zepher11 »

To wrap this thread up, basically can call the command car project completed now that I have installed the CH60 radio cabinet and radios. Goofed off a little here and there, so took just over two years to get it on it's feet. At least it isn't as rusty as it was when I started:

Zeph

Vista52
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Vista52 »

Very nice Zeph...looks great!
Coming together is a Beginning...Keeping together is Progress...Working together is Success.
Be Yourself, Everyone else is Taken...Oscar Wilde
A POW is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him...WSC
Ray Edsall
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Ray Edsall »

G,Day Zeph .Looks real good ,well done . But does it go ? :lol: . 2 of my mates in Queensland Warren and Ron Just finished there 1/2 tonners just recently . Both were realy good restos .So again, well done . Ray
zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by zepher11 »

Vista52 wrote:Very nice Zeph...looks great!
Ray Edsall wrote:G,Day Zeph .Looks real good ,well done . But does it go ? :lol: . 2 of my mates in Queensland Warren and Ron Just finished there 1/2 tonners just recently . Both were realy good restos .So again, well done . Ray
Thanks guys...

Yes Ray, it does go now. It didn't for a bit. I chased a non-start issue for about a month and a half. Engine would run and then after running for about 15 minutes it would not restart. Just turned over. I spent hours and hours trying different things. First was verifying fuel, then switched the coil, then pulled out the distributor and changed all the components. Still same thing. Finally, after taking back another coil to the auto parts store, I was shaking the coil and told the fella there that one can really hear the oil inside the coil. We looked at each other and he said how do you mount the coil? Wow... Upside down of course, as the original coil in the radio cars were mounted upside down in the coil box on the firewall.

I immediately went home and made a new mount for the coil. I barely had enough wire to mount the coil right side up in the coil box. I did and so far so good. This past weekend I let the command car run for about two hours Saturday in 113 degree heat. I then went for a drive and came back and shut it down. Took a bit, but it started back up. Took me three coils to figure this little issue out and a lot of time! Now I know...
Zeph