Dodge WC16 Radio Command Car - Project

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Re: Dodge WC16 Radio Command Car - Project

Post by zepher11 »

It's been busy, but not with the command car. I went to the Tower Park event last week and work has been cutting into my fun time. Lot's of neat stuff at TP, but the best deal for me down there was this clutch, flywheel and new TO bearing w/spring for $20. Had to jump on that one:

Too bad there wasn't a flywheel with a good ring gear to replace this one that I knocked off the other day:

I have this ring that is in good shape, but it is only 3/8's of an inch wide whereas the original above is 1/2 of an inch wide. I think I will hold out for a replacement 1/2 inch one:

Also had to sandblast some more small parts. It's slow, but knocking little items out here and there:

Also installed the new data plate on the 12 volt monster:

The clutch release fork was a little sloppy, so I had to find a good bushing and replace it. Nice and tight now:

Fitted a few parts on the engine. I switched the oil tube for the military 218 tube:

Interesting thing occurred at TP. I was checking things out and saw the Midwest Military spot. I stopped by and was checking out the gauges on display. I had sent my gauges in to them for rebuilding, and jokingly said that is probably my speedometer. Well, it was. It isn't quite completed yet, but looks great already. It was nice to chat with the gauge guys and they really explained the process they go through:

Later, I discovered that the radio command car amp gauge is blocked out in the gauge cluster. Until then I had no idea that was the case. Of course, I want mine like that now! Makes sense, but for some reason I had never thought about it before. It will look like this one. The paint has fallen of this gauge. Nice to learn something new:

I was searching for engine pictures and ran across this photo on the web. I'm sure it has been posted before, but boy I would love to have pick of the litter here:

Zeph

"Why wasn't I born a 4F instead of good looking?" ...(The Story of GI Joe)
timsresort
Corporal
Corporal

Post by timsresort »

The gauge guys do very nice work. When I saw how bad the paint had come off mine, I realized it's time for a little upgrade.
1941 WC16
1942? Steel Ben Hur trailer
1946 BT3C
1951 M37
1953 CJ3B
2-1967 CJ5
1967 M416
1968 M274A5
MVCC
MVPA 20343
zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by zepher11 »

timsresort wrote:The gauge guys do very nice work. When I saw how bad the paint had come off mine, I realized it's time for a little upgrade.

I checked my old gauge and it is blocked out with the plate like your CC. I really didn't even notice it before, so it is good that I have the plate.

Here's a photo of my gauges before removal:

Zeph

Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

I know you wouldn't do it, but those starter rings are reversible - you could put it on the other way round for the next seventy years...

Why is the amp gauge blocked out, I wonder? It should work just the same
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
1941wc-25
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by 1941wc-25 »

I just picked up two sets of bows for my Command Car if you are interested in one. PM me
1941 wc-25
Steel 1 Ton Trailer
Friends Of Willie And Joe
zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by zepher11 »

Gordon_M wrote:I know you wouldn't do it, but those starter rings are reversible - you could put it on the other way round for the next seventy years...

Why is the amp gauge blocked out, I wonder? It should work just the same
The amperes gauge in the half ton radio command car uses the round gauge like this one on the right. I have the gauge, but hadn't put 2 and 2 together to figure out that the round gauge is used instead of the normal amperes gauge in the cluster. Not sure why, but looking at Tim's WC16 CC at Tower Park it all began to make sense:

Zeph

Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

Must be the output amps. The original amp gauge would take 50 or 60, so the output must be even higher.

Never noticed that before, but I've only owned the 3/4 ton Command with ordinary gauges and Voltmeter with switch.
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by zepher11 »

Gordon_M wrote:Must be the output amps. The original amp gauge would take 50 or 60, so the output must be even higher.

Never noticed that before, but I've only owned the 3/4 ton Command with ordinary gauges and Voltmeter with switch.

I hadn't owned any command cars previously, so it is nice to know before it gets buttoned up. The 12 volt genny is rated at 55amps. Not sure why these meters register up to 100 amps.
Zeph

timsresort
Corporal
Corporal

Post by timsresort »

zepher11 wrote:
Gordon_M wrote:Must be the output amps. The original amp gauge would take 50 or 60, so the output must be even higher.

I hadn't owned any command cars previously, so it is nice to know before it gets buttoned up. The 12 volt genny is rated at 55amps. Not sure why these meters register up to 100 amps.
100 amps was just the range that would cover it. I don't think a whole lot of refinement went into the thinking. i.e.- just get a gauge in it that is more accurate than the stock gauge. Oh, and block off the other one.
1941 WC16
1942? Steel Ben Hur trailer
1946 BT3C
1951 M37
1953 CJ3B
2-1967 CJ5
1967 M416
1968 M274A5
MVCC
MVPA 20343
zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by zepher11 »

One knows things are progressing when the pioneer rack gets installed :thumbup: :

Zeph

zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by zepher11 »

I was back in contact with Robert de Ruyter at dataplates4u: https://rdrnl.home.xs4all.nl/dataplates.htm, and he has completed a lot of research and he will be producing Dodge WC data plates in a few months. I get my all my data plates and stencils form him. He made my registration numbers for the command car for me.

He will also produce the Volt Meter data plate for the 1/2 ton radio cars. No one else does so. Only the 3/4 ton Volt Meter data plates are produced now. All of the 1/2 radio cars I have seen have the 3/4 ton data plate.

I know there are a few that want the 1/2 ton Volt Meter data plate. I'll let those that I know want one when I order, and maybe I can order a couple extra and get them to you if that would work.
Zeph

Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

the stock 6 volt amp gauge only reads up to 35 amps. not enough for the beast of the 12 volt gen. unregulated I bet it puts out more than 55. the 3/4 ton amp gauge reads 50 or 60 max/min
zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by zepher11 »

Kaegi wrote:the stock 6 volt amp gauge only reads up to 35 amps. not enough for the beast of the 12 volt gen. unregulated I bet it puts out more than 55. the 3/4 ton amp gauge reads 50 or 60 max/min

I bet that is why they removed the stock amp gauge during production, put in the delete plate, and installed the amp gauge that reads up to 100 amps. The 12 volt generator nomenclature plate indicates 55 amps, so I imagine that is why.

So far, the engine runs fine and all of the lights work, but I still can't get the fuel gauge, amp gauge and volt gauge to work. I did install the step down resister to the fuel gauge before I installed the battery. Need to figure these issues out. If I had a seat, I would driving this thing around! 8)
Zeph

Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

zepher11 wrote:I was back in contact with Robert de Ruyter at dataplates4u: https://rdrnl.home.xs4all.nl/dataplates.htm, and he has completed a lot of research and he will be producing Dodge WC data plates in a few months. I get my all my data plates and stencils form him. He made my registration numbers for the command car for me.

He will also produce the Volt Meter data plate for the 1/2 ton radio cars. No one else does so. Only the 3/4 ton Volt Meter data plates are produced now. All of the 1/2 radio cars I have seen have the 3/4 ton data plate.

I know there are a few that want the 1/2 ton Volt Meter data plate. I'll let those that I know want one when I order, and maybe I can order a couple extra and get them to you if that would work.

I think I have a couple of the half ton volt meter plates still. I had a batch of half and 3/4 ton plates made in brass a few years back. Do you have the dimensions and a pic of the 1/2 ton plate? I also have other plates still as well all in brass.
zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by zepher11 »

Kaegi wrote:I think I have a couple of the half ton volt meter plates still. I had a batch of half and 3/4 ton plates made in brass a few years back. Do you have the dimensions and a pic of the 1/2 ton plate? I also have other plates still as well all in brass.
That's cool. My original half-ton Note (volt meter) Plate is 1 3/8 inches x 2 3/8 inches. I believe it is a little smaller than the 3/4 ton plate, but not sure as I have never seen one.
Zeph