Dodge WC16 Radio Command Car - Project

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Re: Dodge WC16 Radio Command Car - Project

Post by zepher11 »

Florence wrote:Magnificent work and great documentation. Have read most of the thread first time today - love the detailed body work. Sure you will have a Happy 2016 with this Radio CC! Sylvia
Thank you Sylvia!
Zeph

"Why wasn't I born a 4F instead of good looking?" ...(The Story of GI Joe)
zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by zepher11 »

My solution to stiffening the floor. 1/2" angle iron in the same orientation as the beads in the original floor:

Let's just say that the floor is nice and solid now vs. what it was...and probably what it was from the factory. The stiffeners worked really well:

Needed to go back and replace the adjustable threaded front seat mount that is welded in below the floor. I took careful measurements hoping that I put it back in the correct location:

On New Years Day I went to my brother's house to watch the Rose Bowl, so I stopped to get some beer. Look what I found. I just couldn't pass it up as it fits right in with my WWII Air Corps theme. Tasty too:

Zeph

zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by zepher11 »

Punched through the 2" floor hole for the radio conduit with these slick hole punches I picked up at a garage sale a few months ago. They work fantastic:

And I removed, hopefully, for replacement the last hat channel. There is one left on the vehicle that I didn't replace, but it looks to be in good shape as it has passed the hammer test. This one was a little suspect:

Zeph

zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by zepher11 »

Well, it is official. I'm all done with the rust repair, and I am now ready to take the body in to be sandblasted. I'm sure some other little rust areas will pop up after the sandblasting, but I think I have tackled the majority at this point. Finished off that rear hat channel that I removed last week:

Also had to fill in the holes in the body today. Cut a little disc for the larger hole. All of the others were small enough to just weld close with the mig:

Just left the one original antenna hole. Still need to figure out a mount:

Also had to fill in the other side where the 1/4" metal plate is located as well finish off the body and hat channel holes:

The last rust repair is where the front body mounts are located. Both were a little suspect:

I also decided to fit carriage bolts for the two jerrycan holders. They were likely through bolted with the bolt and nut protruding into the passenger area. I just welded the carriage bolts and cut the bolts on the outside to allow for the mounting of the holders. Field mod:

Darn, just noticed that I missed the two holes in the photo above. The one in the hat channel and on the outside of the body!
Zeph

zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by zepher11 »

Scored a BC-191 transmitter for the CC. Most likely it will only ever be a display piece as it is missing some internals (tubes). It did come with the shock mount which is nice:

Came with one tuner:

At least the tuner has a War Department serviceable tag, so it is good to go. Of course, it is from September 10, 1944. Hopefully, the warranty is still valid:

At least I think I have all of the key components to make a nice display in the CC:

I can probably make the radio box for everything.
Zeph

superdave
Corporal
Corporal
My garage: M135, M37, M43, M151, M152, M275A2, M35A2, Gamma Goat, 1942 MK1 Bren gun Carrier, Laylend Daf. Iltis WC54 WC52

Post by superdave »

Nice Score :thumbup:
zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by zepher11 »

superdave wrote:Nice Score :thumbup:

Thanks Superdave. Very happy to have found the transmitter.
Zeph

Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

I have a BC-191-F Transmitter and a BC-224-F Receiver here for the T-36, plus the big BD-77 dynamotor, LS-3 speaker, and BC-306-B Antenna Tuner. I have a bunch of TU Tuning Units too, some in the proper transit chests. I have the proper shock mounts for everything, fortunately, as some of the mounts are more difficult to get than the radios.

I'm still looking for a BC-309 Control Box, and BD-24 Dynamotor for inside the BC-224 receiver - is there one inside yours? My BC-191 is missing some of the external panels, a spare I bought has gone missing in the post 8-(

E-Bay can provide most of the plugs and sockets, and the G503 Radio Forum chaps are a big help too.
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by zepher11 »

Gordon_M wrote:I have a BC-191-F Transmitter and a BC-224-F Receiver here for the T-36, plus the big BD-77 dynamotor, LS-3 speaker, and BC-306-B Antenna Tuner. I have a bunch of TU Tuning Units too, some in the proper transit chests. I have the proper shock mounts for everything, fortunately, as some of the mounts are more difficult to get than the radios.

I'm still looking for a BC-309 Control Box, and BD-24 Dynamotor for inside the BC-224 receiver - is there one inside yours? My BC-191 is missing some of the external panels, a spare I bought has gone missing in the post 8-(

E-Bay can provide most of the plugs and sockets, and the G503 Radio Forum chaps are a big help too.
Hi Gordon,

The transmitter that I received is a BC-191-E, and the tuner is a TU-6-B. Not sure of the differences in designations as of yet. I do know there are several different tuning units that can interchange. I am in the early stages of just collecting everything for a nice display, but getting everything to work someday could be a future project. I may even go as far as getting the manual now. :thumbup: I'm not really a radio guy, so just learning more and more about these sets as I go along.

I don't really know where to look for a BD-24 Dynamotor. Once I decide to track down a manual, I will be able determine some of the cables and connectors that go with the set.
Zeph

wc 9 and 12 owner
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
My garage: current owner of a WC 9, WC 12, 2 K38s, USMC Willys MB Holden Ambulance, 1943 USMC Willys NOM 12 radio jeep ,wc 27, Cushman package kar, m6 bomb truck, m5 bomb trailer, m1 bomb truck, Ben hur trailer and a few more things

Post by wc 9 and 12 owner »

I am doing the same thing Zeph with my USMC Nom 12 radio jeep. Found 2 pairs of tcs 12 radios, mp 37 antenna, 2 tuners, the speaker, 2 generators, 2 dynamotors, and partial set of cables. It will be nice to see everything together on a radio command car
All right they're on our left they're on our right they're in front of us they're behind us they can't get away this time
General Chesty Puller
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

zepher11 wrote:Hi Gordon,

The transmitter that I received is a BC-191-E, and the tuner is a TU-6-B. Not sure of the differences in designations as of yet. I do know there are several different tuning units that can interchange. I am in the early stages of just collecting everything for a nice display, but getting everything to work someday could be a future project. I may even go as far as getting the manual now. :thumbup: I'm not really a radio guy, so just learning more and more about these sets as I go along.

I don't really know where to look for a BD-24 Dynamotor. Once I decide to track down a manual, I will be able determine some of the cables and connectors that go with the set.[/size]

http://radionerds.com/index.php/File:SCR-187_Data.png

This is what you need, the SCR-187 layout. ( image will not embed directly ) This was the standard early aircraft setup for 12 volts. Later versions used the same basic equipment but the big Transmitter Dynamotor had a 24 volt input, and the Receiver was a BC-348 which was set for a 24v input too. I think that was called an SCR-287 set.

Your swappable TU Tuning Unit was one of seven that were carried in a rack, or they could come in individual cases. They allowed the Transmitter to cover a bunch of different frequencies. The major hardware you are missing is the BC-306 Antenna Tuning Unit, which isn't that hard to find, though you need to find the FT-whatever shock base for it too.

Have a look through this thread:

http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=262703

I'm sure there was an even earlier setup for 6 or 8 volt input but haven't researched that.
Gordon, in Scotland

zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by zepher11 »

wc 9 and 12 owner wrote:I am doing the same thing Zeph with my USMC Nom 12 radio jeep. Found 2 pairs of tcs 12 radios, mp 37 antenna, 2 tuners, the speaker, 2 generators, 2 dynamotors, and partial set of cables. It will be nice to see everything together on a radio command car
That will look good in the USMC Radio Jeep. Hard to believe that it took all that to get out a radio transmission just a few miles. If they only had cell phones! Just think of all the class room training to learn to use such devices back in the day. Only took me a month or so to learn how to use my smart phone...had to bring in an eight year old to help me.
Gordon_M wrote:http://radionerds.com/index.php/File:SCR-187_Data.png

This is what you need, the SCR-187 layout. ( image will not embed directly ) This was the standard early aircraft setup for 12 volts. Later versions used the same basic equipment but the big Transmitter Dynamotor had a 24 volt input, and the Receiver was a BC-348 which was set for a 24v input too. I think that was called an SCR-287 set.

Your swappable TU Tuning Unit was one of seven that were carried in a rack, or they could come in individual cases. They allowed the Transmitter to cover a bunch of different frequencies. The major hardware you are missing is the BC-306 Antenna Tuning Unit, which isn't that hard to find, though you need to find the FT-whatever shock base for it too.

Have a look through this thread:

http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=262703

I'm sure there was an even earlier setup for 6 or 8 volt input but haven't researched that.
I will check out the thread. Hmmm...I have been following SCR-193 as my guide in assembling what I need to install in the command car. I hadn't seen SCR-187 before. In looking at both set ups, it appears SCR-187 is the setup for air-to-air communications and SCR-193 is the setup for vehicles such as tanks, halftracks and command cars. Still learning as all this radio equipment is totally new to me. I still need a BC-312 receiver, but the BC-348 receiver that I have looks the same for now if I do not find a BC-312. The BC-348 works and I would like to make a bomber radio room display with it in the future.

Here is the SCR-193 setup information:

http://radionerds.com/images/f/f7/SCR-193_Data.png
Zeph

Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

The radio people have a term for it, something like the BC-soup, as there are so many bits and pieces and different setups.

The SCR-187 was air to air, or air to ground. The T-36 had the SCR-187 in it as it was air crash rescue mainly. It's worth taking any of this stuff you run across if it is cheap as so much of this stuff seems to get traded rather than bought and sold. I did see an image somewhere of a half ton radio command - can't remember if it was VC or WC, but all the kit seemed to be in the big chest rather than on separate racks.

Aha, it was the VC-2 image on your link. Note the smaller Dynamotor on the extreme right - that's a BD-24 or similar for the receiver.

That SCR link doesn't look complete enough. There is no listing for a variety of TU Tuning Units, no speaker ( normally an LS-3 ) stuff like that. I did see one of this big cases on e-pay a while back, but note that the link is a VC-2 rather than a WC radio truck, so the ordinary half ton may have used a different setup.
Gordon, in Scotland

zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by zepher11 »

Gordon_M wrote:The radio people have a term for it, something like the BC-soup, as there are so many bits and pieces and different setups.

The SCR-187 was air to air, or air to ground. The T-36 had the SCR-187 in it as it was air crash rescue mainly. It's worth taking any of this stuff you run across if it is cheap as so much of this stuff seems to get traded rather than bought and sold. I did see an image somewhere of a half ton radio command - can't remember if it was VC or WC, but all the kit seemed to be in the big chest rather than on separate racks.

Aha, it was the VC-2 image on your link. Note the smaller Dynamotor on the extreme right - that's a BD-24 or similar for the receiver.

That SCR link doesn't look complete enough. There is no listing for a variety of TU Tuning Units, no speaker ( normally an LS-3 ) stuff like that. I did see one of this big cases on e-pay a while back, but note that the link is a VC-2 rather than a WC radio truck, so the ordinary half ton may have used a different setup.
I do have a nice LS-3 speaker to go with the display. The other day I saw a photo of a what I tink was an SCR-187, etc... set up in a small plane. What a tight fit...ah, just found it:

Now that I'm just thinking about it, if one had a complete working SCR-187/SCR-193 what would one use it for? I know there probably isn't any other type of set within 250 miles of me and maybe further a lot further. In any event, I'm starting to learn more and more about these old sets. Never set out to do so.

Hinrik on hte G503 indicates he has some planes for the cabinet for a 1/2 ton Dodge WC CC. That would come in very handy for me. There is some type of WWII radio cabinet on eBay right now for like $800. I can learn to build one for that price. Also found TM 11-273 for radio sets online: http://www.scribd.com/doc/246669164/TM- ... APRIL-1941
Zeph

Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

I think that is a BC-191-A. They were visually different from the BC-191-B upwards as you can see. The thing on the right with the insulators is the BC-306 Antenna Tuning Unit. It is mounted with the shock base on the bulkhead and the 'top' of the thing pointing towards you.

The SCR-187 was used in Dakotas and the like, but most of the later planes were 24 volt, so they used the SCR-287 I think - basically the same thing but with large ( transmitter ) and small ( receiver ) Dynamotors suitable for 24 volt. The circuit plug into the back of the Receiver had a cutout which dropped the power when you keyed the Transmitter too. I have the wiring diagram somewhere.

Might be worth digging round for images. Not sure if the WC-42 Radio Panel had British or US type radios in it, but there is the Chevrolet K-51 too. I'll bet you had to listen hard when those Dynamotors were turning.

I have the plugs and caskets, but no cables. Looks like there would be a range of different cable too, from eight core down to single core.
Gordon, in Scotland