Dodge WC16 Radio Command Car - Project

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Dodge WC16 Radio Command Car - Project

Post by zepher11 »

I acquired a Dodge WC16 Radio Command Car project today. This was located in Mount Shasta, California which is only an hour drive north of me, so I just couldn't resist. I was just getting ready to begin my WC63 project when this popped up. I was impressed with the size of this beast. No wonder they called it a command car. Came with a nice set of combats and new set of 9.00 x 16 NDT's as well as an extra four combat wheels. I have some 7.50 x 16 1/2 ton wheels, so those will come in handy.

I know next to nothing about Command Cars...let alone radio stuff. However, I would like to attempt to restore it back to its former glory, but not sure about the availability of the radios that these had. In any event, it will be a great research project as I learn along the way. I really like the straight body as well as all of the little original door hardware etc... that are still in place. The floor needs a little rust repair, but overall there doesn't appear to be much rust repair to tackle. Missing a few items like the bows and rear seat frame and radio box. Most of the front seat frame is there. The PO had already found the hard to find gauges for the radio car, so I don't need to search for those. Lots of NOS parts came with...like cosmoline covered NOS drive lines and axles as well as an NOS t-case. In fact, so many extras that I had to make two trips and the PO loaded his trailer and came with me on the second trip. Here are some photos with her all tucked in now:

Last edited by zepher11 on Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zeph

"Why wasn't I born a 4F instead of good looking?" ...(The Story of GI Joe)
wc 9 and 12 owner
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
My garage: current owner of a WC 9, WC 12, 2 K38s, USMC Willys MB Holden Ambulance, 1943 USMC Willys NOM 12 radio jeep ,wc 27, Cushman package kar, m6 bomb truck, m5 bomb trailer, m1 bomb truck, Ben hur trailer and a few more things

Re: Dodge WC16 Radio Command Car - Project

Post by wc 9 and 12 owner »

Well you will need a mp 37 antenna, you said you have both the radio gauges. You will need a 12 volt 40 amp generator and a special coil and regulator. I have a spare regulator I think. Good luck seats and bows are mwm reproductions
All right they're on our left they're on our right they're in front of us they're behind us they can't get away this time
General Chesty Puller
zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by zepher11 »

wc 9 and 12 owner wrote:Well you will need a mp 37 antenna, you said you have both the radio gauges. You will need a 12 volt 40 amp generator and a special coil and regulator. I have a spare regulator I think. Good luck seats and bows are mwm reproductions
I don't have a 12 volt regulator with the project. Reproduction seats and bows would come in handy. I hope I have that option. I have a full SCR 234 radio set up with a Crosley BC 654 radio. Maybe I can find someone with the correct radios for this CC and make a trade someday.

I need to track down a TM, so I can get some specifics. I should be at TP next month. Bring your regulator if you are heading there.
Zeph

CSCameron
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Post by CSCameron »

Nice project and nice shop! What size shop is that? Details please. :mrgreen:
Loffy770
Sergeant
Sergeant
My garage: Dodge WC-57

Post by Loffy770 »

Zepher, check your PM-box.
wc 9 and 12 owner
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
My garage: current owner of a WC 9, WC 12, 2 K38s, USMC Willys MB Holden Ambulance, 1943 USMC Willys NOM 12 radio jeep ,wc 27, Cushman package kar, m6 bomb truck, m5 bomb trailer, m1 bomb truck, Ben hur trailer and a few more things

Check with Russ Gidad he has 1 or 2 radio command cars
All right they're on our left they're on our right they're in front of us they're behind us they can't get away this time
General Chesty Puller
zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by zepher11 »

CSCameron wrote:Nice project and nice shop! What size shop is that? Details please. :mrgreen:
Thanks! I received my final inspection on the shop a few weeks ago, so It is all ready to be taxed. The WC16 will be the first to add patina to the concrete. :thumbup:

Here is a link on this site where I posted a few photos of the construction: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12091

The shop is 32' x 60' with a 12' ceiling. It about wore me out, and I only did a fraction of the work on it. Very happy to basically have it done now. Just getting it organized nowadays. Here are some more recent photos (weird, I see the forum much larger now on my laptop, so I made the photos larger. Couldn't do that before):

Zeph

zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by zepher11 »

wc 9 and 12 owner wrote:Check with Russ Gidad he has 1 or 2 radio command cars
That's right he does. I think I have something he wants...
Zeph

timsresort
Corporal
Corporal

Post by timsresort »

O.K. you have until August 2016 to get it done. Then we could have at least 4 radio command cars at the convention. (Russ, Johnny V,, mine and yours). Nice project, it's only 3 serial numbers from my WC16.
Tim
1941 WC16
1942? Steel Ben Hur trailer
1946 BT3C
1951 M37
1953 CJ3B
2-1967 CJ5
1967 M416
1968 M274A5
MVCC
MVPA 20343
zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by zepher11 »

timsresort wrote:O.K. you have until August 2016 to get it done. Then we could have at least 4 radio command cars at the convention. (Russ, Johnny V,, mine and yours). Nice project, it's only 3 serial numbers from my WC16.
Tim
Hi Tim,

I saw that your WC16 was only 3 SN's from this WC16 on the G503. Is yours complete now, or are you still restoring it? I would love to have this one completed by the 2016 show. I have seen Jonny V's, but I didn't really have a reason to comb over it. I will really be checking it out for sure at TP this year!

If you could post some pictures here that would be great. Things I really need to figure out are the battery box and seat frames.
Zeph

zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by zepher11 »

Been crawling all over this CC this weekend checking it out. All of the gauges are roached. Interesting that these two gauges, I'm assuming for the radios, have brass screws. I also noticed that the control knobs are brass as well:

I've been digging through all the boxes of parts that came with. Lots of NOS stuff. I found some gauges yesterday:

Then found the one on the right today. Only missing a couple of the gauges. I think I rat holed a speedometer from a WC13. I'm hoping I can use that as well:

Ordered a manual yesterday. I hope if has a lot of details on the radio components. It's appears a little intimidating at the moment. Found this interesting conduit underneath the runs into the rear cab for the radios I guess:

Also found this canister dangling from underneath the dash. Interestingly, the wiring components to the canister look in good shape and serviceable. Don't know if this is an early filterette, or related to the radio equipment:

Now I need to engineer getting the body off the frame which is a surprisingly large...and heavy I suspect...
Zeph

timsresort
Corporal
Corporal

Post by timsresort »

Zeph,
Man those gauges are sweet. If I were you I'd have those on the mantle until install time. Yes, my WC16 is complete, and why send photos when you can see it next month at TP? I'm in 182, come by and have a beer.
Tim
1941 WC16
1942? Steel Ben Hur trailer
1946 BT3C
1951 M37
1953 CJ3B
2-1967 CJ5
1967 M416
1968 M274A5
MVCC
MVPA 20343
Fred Coldwell
Technician 4th Grade
Technician 4th Grade

Post by Fred Coldwell »

Zeph:

The canister dangling underneath the dashboard is a radio system filter (or maybe it houses the coil?). Anyway, it bolts to the cab side of the firewall using the same bolts that attach the voltage regulator to the engine side of the firewall. Place it back-to-back with the voltage regulator and you'll see how the holes match. Have fun with the restoration!
Fred Coldwell
Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
1944 T233 Command Car prototype
1945 T233 Utility Truck pilot model
wc 9 and 12 owner
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9936

This may help also
General Chesty Puller
zepher11
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by zepher11 »

Fred Coldwell wrote:Zeph:

The canister dangling underneath the dashboard is a radio system filter (or maybe it houses the coil?). Anyway, it bolts to the cab side of the firewall using the same bolts that attach the voltage regulator to the engine side of the firewall. Place it back-to-back with the voltage regulator and you'll see how the holes match. Have fun with the restoration!
Thank you Fred. The canister is dangling right on the other side of the firewall from the regulator...that is if the regulator was there. The plate for the regulator and the plate that goes below it are all that remains. I have ordered a TM that I hope has some additional information.

Regards,
Zeph