When did the British get VC & WC Dodges?

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

When did the British get VC & WC Dodges?

Post by Tony B »

More questions coming from these pictures. There are photos of 1/2 ton command car. Does anyone know if A they were in British service B When? The other question is does anyone know when the WC series came in to British service?
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
Mike in VA, USA
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

American Volunteer Ambulance Service

Post by Mike in VA, USA »

I've seen a promotional film entitled "Letter From Libya" concerning volunteer Americans operating ambulances with the British forces in North Africa. Made in 1941, the ambulances are mostly half ton WC Dodges.
There is no doubt in my mind that it was produced in Britain, so there's no Hollywood "file footage" of trucks in the US southwestern desert.
Mid '41 would be a good guess, or soon after Lend-Lease was enacted.
'42 WC51, '77 M880, lots of Voortrekker powerplants-Eeegad! they're procreating
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Thanks Mike, I will be going down to the Tank museum at Bovington in a couple of weeks to view thier archive. 21000 pictures of various vehicles so at least I now have a date to work from. I hope to get permisson for gordon to post some of the pictures on the site, the Librarian is a very reasonable guy.
Jeep posed for pictures Dodge was to busy working. Delightful Old Darling Goes Everywhere
Mike in VA, USA
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

Lend Lease

Lend-Lease was enacted March 11, 1941. Actual military hardware should have been moving shortly afterwards. Not being "weapons", ambulances may have been supplied earlier.
Hope you have an enjoyable time at the archives.
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Who where the volunteer US group in the North african campain with VC54 ? I know I'vee seen some photos of them.
Mike in VA, USA
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

The American Field Service

Volunteer ambulance drivers and attendants.
Mike in VA, USA
Technician 5th Grade
Technician 5th Grade

xxx

Woops! I put the name of the organisation in the subject line of the above and it doesn't show. It was the American Field Service.
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Right, apparently the archive I'm going to see has vehicles listed by type so I'll have a look for any pictures. So little time, SO many pictures :D
Hanno Spoelstra
Private

Re: xxx

Post by Hanno Spoelstra »

Mike in VA, USA wrote:Woops! I put the name of the organisation in the subject line of the above and it doesn't show. It was the American Field Service.
See http://www.ourstory.info/ for info and pics.

Hope this helps,
Hanno
Tony B
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Tony B »

Thanks Hanno, it also has the world war one stuff, Canadian Scottish and I have our two ladys over at the Somme at the end of June supporting a re-eanctoment commemorative march so i am desperatley reading up on it. :D