Lohner Restoration

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
BrianT
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Lohner Restoration

Post by BrianT »

Hi guys, a bit of an update on the Lohner. Having found shortcomings with the steering, we pulled it down. I had made a cost saving decision not to replace the king pin bearings - wrong! They are critical and had flat spots on the cone - new set installed. When we pulled off the wheels there were scorch marks on the brake drums - another cost saving decision - not to machine the drums, just adjust up well coated shoes - wrong! Could have contributed to my fuel usage! Brake drums machined - with great difficulty - not a lot of meat left. Also splines on front driveshaft were worn. It was cheaper to get a NOS unit than have it resplined.
So a lot of time back in the shop. End result is a significant improvement in the drive. Lesson learned - don't cut corners!

The motely crew that get together on a Wednesday ( The Wednesday Group) (very creative naming) to do nefarious things with old military vehicles.

This week was our ANZAC Day and the Lohner took part in the Perth City Parade. Photo of vehicle outside the Perth Town Hall on form up.
Myself with George our 96 year old WW2 signals veteran who participated in 2 opposed landings against the Japanese (Tarakan and Balikpapan) in the SWPA and is still driving his jeep for other veterans in the Parade!

Lots of small things still to do to get it finished.

Cheers,
Brian

1945 Dodge WC51 Lohner Radio Van