Lohner Restoration

From VC-1 to WC64-KD.
GoranWC51
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
My garage: 1945 Dodge WC51 (Febr 12 1945)

1945 Bantam T3 or Willys MBT

Re: Lohner Restoration

Post by GoranWC51 »

I still cannot figure out how the "Lohner" WC51 had been built a whole month BEFORE mine, and not the other way around....

Goran
Goran Noren
Dodge WC51 1945
Built: 2/12/1945
Marked as an ambulance of the
Brazilian Expeditionary Force, Italy 1944-45
&
Willys MBT
ACM no 57482
Manufactured: July 1943

MVBros - Your need - our mission
BrianT
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by BrianT »

This week the first coat of primer. Who needs a rotisserie! One of the team, Tony at work applying the paint.

I am trying to grasp how to renovate the shock absorbers suffering from oil leaks and worn bushings on the arms.

Chassis takeoff items continue to be pickled, cleaned and primed.

The Champ has moved out of the workshop to be replaced by a 1917 Model T being rebuilt by one of our team, Jack, to represent a Light Patrol Car in service with the ANZAC's in Egypt, Palestine and Syria during WW1. A timely build with the centenary of the 1914 departure for the Middle East of Australian troops to represent their new unified country leaving and the susequent landing at Gallipoli in 1915. ANZAC Day is celebrated on the date of the landing as the Australian equivalent of Veterans Day.

Cheers
Brian

1945 Dodge WC51 Lohner Radio Van
Gordon_M
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gordon_M »

Dodge shocks then...

the knee-action shocks are so solid, you can use them as a hammer ( guilty, m'lud ... ) and require almost no maintenance.

They do use fluid over time, and are designed to be refilled with shock oil / jack oil, up to the level of the fill hole. Basically take it off the truck, clean, put it on its back and take out the fill screw, fill it up, screw back in, and work it a few times. It either works or it doesn't, and I've only ever given up on one shock which was absolutely solid - even that one would probably have come round if I'd needed it. ( you can do a basic fill operation on the truck, of course, but most people would take it off to see if it was working )

There is a procedure for pushing out and replacing shock bushes in the manual, and I have seen replacement bushes for sale but not recently. If the bush is intact but the rubber is worn there's no reason not to pour liquid rubber round it and stick it back on the truck.
Gordon, in Scotland

( Now officially given up on any form of politics )
BrianT
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by BrianT »

Thanks Gordon, still trying to resolve the shock absorber issue. I am missing the rear left shock absorber, link and anchor point on the spring clip. The right rear unit has a later link. All 3 links that I have need refurbishing and the hydraulic units are leaking at the lever sleeve.

Weekly update.
Got the frame indoors and removed the axles and springs. Frame has gone into temporary storage pending floor space becoming available. Areas around spring hangers need to be cleaned and primed. Springs, shackles and bushings all in good condition. :D
I will be getting the rear springs strengthened. When the Lohner conversion was undertaken another 300kg was added to the weight of the vehicle in the rear with the Radio Cabin. One of the weak points of the Lohners was a noticeable tilt to the rear.

Stored on Australian No 4 (J**p) Trailer and Australian No5 (Landrover) Trailer

Some of the workshop contents

Prepping of frame takeoffs continues. Next week the axles, wheels and diffs.

Cheers
Brian

motto
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant
My garage: Harley Davidson 42WLA, Dodge WC63, Dodge WC57, Chevrolet 1-1/2 ton 4x4. Originally an Earth Borer, Pole Setter. Drilling rig gone and truck now mounts a #7 Set Lifting Frame. i.e.: Light Wrecker.

Post by motto »

I can help you out with NOS ball ends that will fit the later type shocker link Brian, $7.50 ea. The ones that I have are for the Studebaker US-6. The Stude link is similar in construction to the WC but much shorter. The ball ends can be pressed out and replaced. The threaded section beyond the taper is a little shorter but quite adequate.

David
BrianT
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by BrianT »

David, thanks for your help on sorting out the shock absorbers.
This week's progress.

Stripped and commenced cleaning the axles.
They say the oil tells the story. Oil exiting from rear diff housing drain nice and clear - great condition - oil exiting from front diff drain- milk chocolate - water found its way in. :( Hopefully not too bad - probably will do as a front diff.

The good

The not so good

The sun is still shining in WA - in the middle of winter. Whilst it has helped getting the dirty work done outside, we desperately need the rain!

One axle made it indoors

Next week continue with axle strip, clean and hopefully prime.

Chassis take off items all cleaned and primed - now to start on suspension, brake and axle items. A full car load moved from the workshop to home. Pickle pot going 24/7.
Brian

BrianT
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by BrianT »

This week's progress was limited. We were visited by a group of intrepid travellers who had just driven across Australia (over 3,000 kms) in a couple of MB's and a GPW - in Winter. The Nullarbor is freezing at this time of year.

Completed stripping of axles. Accumulating lots of bits to be individually cleaned and large number of appropriately marked zip lok bags of nuts, bolts washers etc.

New set of NDT tyres arrived from the States.

Had the rear springs reset with an additional leaf - now 13 to address the usual backward lean of the Lohners. When the conversions were done there was no action taken to strengthen the Dodge suspension to compensate for the extra load of the Radio Cab and contents.

Meanwhile the plumage was test fitted to the Model T.

Next week hopefully clean and prime axles.

Cheers
Brian

BrianT
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by BrianT »

Progress this week.
Cleaned and primed the axle housings and brake drums.

I am in the process of salvaging the spring armour from the brake and fuel lines. Have ordered the final paint coat - one of the 50 shades - Brown Grey, the OBH vehicle finish.

Thanks to motto I now have a complete set of shock absorbers.

Have some challenges with the transmission - the milk chocolate again!Image

Next week will look to remove the existing tyres from their rims so as to clean and prime them. Hoping not to have too much of a challenge with the split rims.

I seem to remember having owned a vehicle at one stage but am now the proud owner of dozens of disassembled parts. I hope that I can get them all back together!

Cheers
Brian

GoranWC51
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
My garage: 1945 Dodge WC51 (Febr 12 1945)

1945 Bantam T3 or Willys MBT

Post by GoranWC51 »

The last photo is so typical of one taken by a smartphone camera. The lens gets smudged constantly by greasy fingerprints when we pick out the phone from the pocket, and we tend to forget to wipe the lens before taking the picture. Makes a big difference on the outcome.

Goran N
Goran Noren
Dodge WC51 1945
Built: 2/12/1945
Marked as an ambulance of the
Brazilian Expeditionary Force, Italy 1944-45
&
Willys MBT
ACM no 57482
Manufactured: July 1943

MVBros - Your need - our mission
Kaegi
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kaegi »

GoranWC51 wrote:The last photo is so typical of one taken by a smartphone camera. The lens gets smudged constantly by greasy fingerprints when we pick out the phone from the pocket, and we tend to forget to wipe the lens before taking the picture. Makes a big difference on the outcome.

Goran N
its ok its like sometimes when we eat a pasrty while working on our WCs during coffee break. sometimes we eat some grease that gets on the pastry from our hands. it ads a special flavor. ;/)
BrianT
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by BrianT »

I think it was milk chocolate that time!
Brian

BrianT
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by BrianT »

Achieved this week.
Managed to separate the combat rims and remove the old tyres without too much difficulty but with some assistance! Two others had previously been done the hard way with recipricating saw and angle grinder on the tyres and a sledge hammer on the rusted rims.

Cleaned the U/J housing from the front axle.

One of our team rediscovered the Transfer Case under many decades of concreted oil, mud and clay.

Also took delivery of the Brown Grey satin auto enamel paint -ouch expensive!

The pickle pot is now treating the rims and the spring armour from the brake lines.

It will be very nice to get around to assembling something rather than the ongoing deconstruction!

Cheers
Brian

Animal
Sergeant
Sergeant
My garage: ??? 1944 Willys Jeep (More Ford parts than most Fords)
Dec 1944 WC52 (Under total rebuild)

Post by Animal »

Hey do you guys want to slow down! Making some of us POMs look bad, took me close to a year to get to where you are at now!

Excellent work team, look forward to seeing the continuation of your posts. Have a feeling this will be a fine truck when it is done.

Keep it up.

Ryan
Ryan
BrianT
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by BrianT »

No photos this week, just lots of derusting, cleaning and priming of parts. Getting close to needing a large batch of colour painting.

Cheers
Brian

PareoWC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by PareoWC »

Brian, what ingredients do you have in your 'pickle pot'? :lol: